Culturing Daphnia

1. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Valued Member Member

Hello,

I'm wondering if this is something a beginner aquarist like me could easily do and how I might go about this. At my disposal I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium and a spare aquarium pump that could function as an aerator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I would go with something bigger as it will be way easier, but I think you could pull it off in that size.
    Daphnia is not hard, it is important to the aquaculture industry so it is almost a science and just a matter of following certain steps by now. Look up on google.
    I would suggest you to keep moina if possible instead of Daphnia, more hardy more prolific and easier to care for.

Here are 3 things that all the articles dont mention, and that I had to learn the sad way:
    1- Moina, at least IME, will go to sleep to the bottom of the tank at night or where the lights are off. If you feed something like yeast during that time the daphnia wont eat it and a lot of them will die.

2- Because they go sleep at the bottom of the tank you should keep the bottom relatively clean. My cultures would often grow thick algae at the bottom and together with gunk and dust it would be a moina trap. When the moinas went to sleep a lot of them would get caught and die there unable to feed properly or swim to the top. I would do weekly bottom vacuums and water changes for this reason.

3- Foods DO mater. A lot of people recommend Yeast. I had the best yield when I was feeding a mix of Spirulina, Yeast, soy protein and Spinach juice. The Moina was BLOWING UP. I could harvest a 7 gal 1-2 times per day no problem. I am feeding active yeast now and while their intestinal tracts are full (they look red or brown when they are eating well) the yield isnt the same. Green water also works good, my moina end it up in a day and the population grows good. The problem with green water is that the bigger you go the harder is to supply green water. With just a 2.5 gal tank it shouldnt be hard to keep green water cultures going.

4- The articles do mention this but always keep a backup culture. I always have 1-2 backup cultures which have allowed me to experiment and have my main cultures crash with no worries. I was able to learn points 1, 2 and 3 and still start again without having to buy another culture.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

4. OP
    OP
    DHIWZ

Tremendous help! Thank you guys so much!

(I feel a lot less stressed about it now)

5. OP
    OP
    DHIWZ

The Daphnia are here! And thus begins my journey culturing them....

As mentioned above I'm using a 2.5 gallon with a tiny pump at the bottom for some minor surface aeration. I'm also using tank water from my 10 gallon and eco complete substrate to provide a medium for bacteria to grow, as well as my old desk lamp for lighting (glad to have found a use for the big guy).

Attached Files: