Culprit's Journey Into The Dark Side

Nart

Why work inside the tank for scaping?

Just take measurements of the tank dimensions - use painter tape to layout the dimensions of a workbench/work table and start sculpting that way.

Culprit

Why work inside the tank for scaping?

Just take measurements of the tank dimensions - use painter tape to layout the dimensions of a workbench/work table and start sculpting that way.

will it not die being out of water? Or can I leave it out of water just keep spritzing it every few minutes to keep it damp?

grantm91

You may get a little die off but its ok as your not even cycled yet, how long you talking ? You could do it, I would and have, I've re-scaped rocks out of the tank and spent like 20 mins. Even with colonies of zoas on them, go for it.

Culprit

You may get a little die off but its ok as your not even cycled yet, how long you talking ? You could do it, I would and have, I've re-scaped rocks out of the tank and spent like 20 mins. Even with colonies of zoas on them, go for it.

Like an hour tops. I just did some research and I can just wet a rag down and keep it draped over it when I'm not using it. Guess I need to order some epoxy!!

Tragic13

Oh man!!!! This is exciting!

stella1979

Super exciting!!! I'm almost as stoked as Culprit to see this tank set up!

Culprit

Yeah!!!! I was really busy today so I didn't have time to do a full test today, or any testing at all but tomorrow should be pretty open so I should be able to work on rockscape and do a full test! Hopefully I see some nitrates and lowered ammonia. So far I've seen two white strands that weren't there before. They're about 2 inches long. I don't know if that's just like slime or something or if its life but I have been watching it all like a hawk lol

LJC6780

Pics? Could be tube worms ... if you have Prime you can use that while there are ammonia and nitrites to help preserve any life ...

Culprit

Its gone today.... I looked up some pics, I think its a strand from a spaghettI worm? I pulled it out of the tank and sort of did a scape. I think it will look pretty cool. Definitely need epoxy though. When I get the epoxy I will epoxy on outcroppings on some of the rocks and glue the arches together. Definitely not decided on this as my final scape, nowhere near it. I for sure will keep working on it. Any tips though? Sorry for the bad pics... Took them from my phone.

IMG_20171109_122740.jpg IMG_20171109_122735.jpg
GREAT NEWS GUYS!!! So 3 days ago when I tested I had .50 ammonia. Then, today, I tested and it was down to between .25 and .50 (ARGH I HATE THE API TEST KIT haha) but today I tested and I had 7 nitrates (I think.. between 5 and 10. ERRR). So I'm almost cycled! That means there should be lots of live stuff still on the rock!!!!!!!
IMG_20171109_125507.jpg

Forgot about this one. It fell out of the live rock when I pulled it out of the water. It fell onto the rag I was putting the rocks on. I will admit this brought a... hrmmm, very manly uhhh yell haha out of me when I put it back in the water. it disappeared after I put it in and put the rest of the rocks in. Not sure where it went. But I have no idea what it is. Its about 1-1.5" long, brown speckled with lighter brown, pretty firm, not slimey but almost... elasticky. Ya'll have any idea?It had a tapered end that went down to a pure brown smaller flat end. The other end was just rounded.
IMG_20171109_122828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

thesoulpatch

Looks like a flat worm. If so it needs to be killed...like soon. fire burn it!!!

Culprit

Looks like a flat worm. If so it needs to be killed...like soon. fire burn it!!!

Idk I looked that up and none of them really look like it. I don't think its that. Its not flat its a round tube but one end tapers a little then is flat. Like tapers like a cone but the like 3/4 of the tip of the cone is cut off. Mabye a peanut worm???

Looks almost exactly like this

Nart

Hard to tell from the pic. Try matching it to a stomatella.

How's the scaping going? You don't have epoxy yet? What kind of scape are you going for?

Culprit

Hard to tell from the pic. Try matching it to a stomatella.

Definitely not a stomatella of any kind.

No... no epoxy yet. I really need to order it! Pretty good though... I think it might be easier then I thought. Idk. Either like a half circle kind of like grants, or a twin island one in each opposing corals. Like far left and close right.

stella1979

I quite like the half circle idea. In a long tank you could make it wide, kind of like a half oval. Maybe tall on one end and bring it down in a gradual arc to the other side before brining it just a smidge higher on the other side. I think it would look quite nice to have the low point a little off center and for the short side to be less than half the height of the tall side... if that makes sense. Just kicking around an idea I've had when I start thinking about a rescape of my own, but I may not get there with this tank... we'll see.

Culprit

Stella that's what I was thinking of! It will likely be something like that or two islands with lots of nooks and crannies and mabye a small arch off of one of them.

So... here's an idea I had. Could I replace the firefish in my stocking with a royal gramma? I know there's different types of grammas, and I was wondering if one would fit in. I really really like the way they look.

Nart

Do you know if you'll be under fish-stocking the tank? and focusing more on corals? If so, go with something a little different that has functionality too.

So like, go with a pistol shrimp/goby pair and a 6-line wrasse, maybeee a blenny?
I personally think 6-line wrasses are cool. Their swim patterns are very methodical and precise. They help control the bristleworm population and goes around eating other types of worms and possible pests. If I could re-do my IM25, I would keep my stocking the way it is, remove the clowns, and put a six-line in it instead. My clowns don't really do much most of the time. They just stick to their front tank corner and only move around during feeding time. Whereas my blenny likes to hop around the new rock work and etc... the 6 line wrasse would be neat to watch in my new scaping. Seeing it hover in, out, and around the floating rocks in search of food. Just an idea.

But I know it's kind of a right of passage with owning clown fishes when you first start out.

Culprit

For sure more focused on corals. After I get good at keeping them I'll start branching (LOL) into sps and harder to keep corals.

Definitely still want a pistol shrimp/goby pair. I see that the firefish is timid and won't really move around much, but kind of stay near its "hole". I think my famly would kill me if I didin't get clownfish haha . Oh well I think I'll like them. For sure stock lightly, I want to go easy on the maintnence, plus its better for the corals. I don't want to be doing water changes twice a week to try and keep perfect water paramaters. Do clowns do fine without a pair? Or is it cooler to watch a pair? I've heard that six lines may eat shrimp and sometimes snails. Not sure.

Pistol Shrimp + shrimp goby
Clown Pair
Firefish or six line wrasse or blenny

grantm91

Its true what nart says, clowns can be boring when they choose the corner of the tank for a host, or say a heater or maybe even the back of a rock. I wouldn’t be without mine though, for me they have been the life of the party. Id do a clown pair, pistol shrimp and watchmen, and a little clown goby. One thing I never got and its just randomly sprung to mind is one of the large feather worms, I love them the way the woosh back in the tube.

Culprit

I'm eventually going to get an anenome. Will they change hosts to the anenome?

I think clown pair, pistol shrimp and watchman, but I'm debating the third fish. Either six-line wrasse, clown goby, some type of blenny, firefish, or a royal gramma basslet.

Nart

Clowns do better in a pair. They are pretty social, so in pairs, they interact with each other. It's a toss up with where clowns will host. So only time will tell.

If you are going with that stocking... I'd avoid a six-line as they are pretty aggressive. Go with the other fishes you listed instead.

grantm91

With the nem you either wait or intervene, but I like that stock, I love the starry blenny of narts too, id go with one of those if you could. So comical that face.

Culprit

Honestly not a huge fan of the starrry blenny. So not that

grantm91

Next from me is the rock goby, the bright color and how it pearches up on the rocks, and its tiny size all do it for me.

stella1979

I gotta stick up for the firefish. True, Scorch hid all the time at first, but he's been getting around the whole tank every day for months now. And come on, you can't beat that sail fin.

Not trying to be pushy, just have to disagree with those that find firefish boring. Hopefully he doesn't change when new stock is added, but Scorch is not so timid. He doesn't even dart when my hand goes in anymore.

KristaD

I'm eventually going to get an anenome. Will they change hosts to the anenome?

I think clown pair, pistol shrimp and watchman, but I'm debating the third fish. Either six-line wrasse, clown goby, some type of blenny, firefish, or a royal gramma basslet.
My clown pair left the flowerpot for their anemone so they will move. Sometimes one will hang out in the pot and the other in the anemone. Go for it!

Culprit

I think not on the clown goby bc it looks a lot like the watchman. No on the blenny too. So its come down to the royal gramma basslet, six line wrasse, and firefish. I'll admit, I think the basslet and the firefish are the prettiest, but I think the six line wrasse would be cool because of how its always swimming around hunting. One of the things that is kind of putting me off the six line is the fact that it might eat my shrimp. Don't want that!

Culprit

The way this live rock is going its going to be cycled in a week or two. Its time for a water change. Ammonia still went down a bit more, 0.30 mabye. Nitrates keep going up though, so the live rock must still be having a bit of die off. Haven't worked on scaping much, I'm waiting for black friday to get everything else I need. Nitrates are about 20, so I'll be doing a water change as soon as I can.

Culprit

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I just wanted to tell you guys just how amazed and grateful I am to have such incredible friends like you guys. Ya'll are always so supportive and helpful, and have used your precious time to help me and each other. You guys have all helped me so much with this build, non of it would be possible without you. Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!!!

stella1979

My thoughts exactly Colin. You couldn't have said it better.

grantm91

Happy thanks giving to you guys, I hope you all have a great day, I wish I could be there enjoying the festivities! I always said its like you guys get two Christmas’s.

Culprit I only just seen your mention on narts thread. The sand I had was the carb sea live stuff, I loved it at first it looked so good, but the stuff was like dust, in the end it was just filthy, I removed it bit by bit over a few water changes. I'm looking to get something with a bigger grain size. That sand was awesome at first there were little bits of shell and even a crab claw in there lol.

stella1979

Oops, I forgot about the substrate question... I also have the CaribSea Live, though I'm unsure which kind. It's not fine like Grant's was though, in fact it's quite chunky and sinks like a stone. I don't have any trouble with it getting on corals so far. So, maybe the Florida Crushed Coral Arag-Alive or the Special Grade Arag-Alive. Sorry I can't be more specific Culprit, just checked these out and either of those looks exactly like what I have.

grantm91

stella1979 I definitely can't remember which one mine was but yours is a lot better, I can tell from pics of your tank that its one that will last, il have to look up what one mine was.

stella1979

Happy thanks giving to you guys, I hope you all have a great day, I wish I could be there enjoying the festivities! I always said its like you guys get two Christmas’s.

Ahh, it's great, but stressful too! Lol, you can still eat like it's a holiday Grant! Didn't you say you've never baked sweet potatoes? There's no better day to try it. Want to try a yummy sandwich? Mix up a bit of sage with mayo, get some cranberry sauce, lettuce, turkey from the delI and your favorite bread and slap it all together... mmm, mmm good!

KristaD

Ahh, it's great, but stressful too! Lol, you can still eat like it's a holiday Grant! Didn't you say you've never baked sweet potatoes? There's no better day to try it. Want to try a yummy sandwich? Mix up a bit of sage with mayo, get some cranberry sauce, lettuce, turkey from the delI and your favorite bread and slap it all together... mmm, mmm good!

Yummy!!!

Culprit

Oh yeah poor grant doesn't get thanksgiving! It is kind of stressful when you have everyone over to your house... two years ago we had my moms side of the family over. We have like 30 cousins. So there was like 40 people here. The table stretched from one side of the house to the other LOL. Tons of fun tho. Honestly one of my favorite holidays bc there's no presents or cards. Its just everyone getting together and eating and having fun and being with family and friends.

Ohhh stella sage with mayo? Don't think ive tried that one yet! Its going down on the list!

Oh so you have the bigger sized granule. Grant you probably oolite or something really fine. That's one of the reasons I like the biminI pink cause it has lots of variation. It goes from big chunks of crushed coral and shells to finer stuff. Although I like the size of the fijI pink too.

You could have your own version of thanksgiving grant! It doesn't have to represent a special day in history, just a day to get together with family and friends and be thankful!

Culprit

I ordered the last pieces of the puzzle!

BiminI Pink substrate, refractometer, and a viaaqua 100 watt heater. When I get it I'll start building my stand

grantm91

You thought anymore on the other fish ? I'm going to have to put my vote on a fire fish, because I always wanted one but never got one.

Culprit

Idk. I'm gonna wait until my LFS has both in and then I'll see which I like more in person.

stella1979

Get a Scorch!!!

LJC6780

I quite like the half circle idea. In a long tank you could make it wide, kind of like a half oval. Maybe tall on one end and bring it down in a gradual arc to the other side before brining it just a smidge higher on the other side. I think it would look quite nice to have the low point a little off center and for the short side to be less than half the height of the tall side... if that makes sense. Just kicking around an idea I've had when I start thinking about a rescape of my own, but I may not get there with this tank... we'll see.

That might be sort of how my tank was set up before I got it. He had sort of a half circle on the left that was taller then it slopes down to the right as it came forward. Then there was a rock separate on the right front. Looked cool, I just wanted more rocks.

Do you know if you'll be under fish-stocking the tank? and focusing more on corals? If so, go with something a little different that has functionality too.

So like, go with a pistol shrimp/goby pair and a 6-line wrasse, maybeee a blenny?
I personally think 6-line wrasses are cool. Their swim patterns are very methodical and precise. They help control the bristleworm population and goes around eating other types of worms and possible pests. If I could re-do my IM25, I would keep my stocking the way it is, remove the clowns, and put a six-line in it instead. My clowns don't really do much most of the time. They just stick to their front tank corner and only move around during feeding time. Whereas my blenny likes to hop around the new rock work and etc... the 6 line wrasse would be neat to watch in my new scaping. Seeing it hover in, out, and around the floating rocks in search of food. Just an idea.

But I know it's kind of a right of passage with owning clown fishes when you first start out.

I love my sixline but I think they need a larger tank ...

I think not on the clown goby bc it looks a lot like the watchman. No on the blenny too. So its come down to the royal gramma basslet, six line wrasse, and firefish. I'll admit, I think the basslet and the firefish are the prettiest, but I think the six line wrasse would be cool because of how its always swimming around hunting. One of the things that is kind of putting me off the six line is the fact that it might eat my shrimp. Don't want that!

What size shrimp?! My sixline is huge and doesn’t eat my tiny pederson’s cleaner shrimp. He’s also not aggressive ... but I also think he needs a bigger tank than a 20.

The way this live rock is going its going to be cycled in a week or two. Its time for a water change. Ammonia still went down a bit more, 0.30 mabye. Nitrates keep going up though, so the live rock must still be having a bit of die off. Haven't worked on scaping much, I'm waiting for black friday to get everything else I need. Nitrates are about 20, so I'll be doing a water change as soon as I can.

I don’t think nitrates at 20 will stall a cycle ... you have no livestock yet ... nitrites of 20 would be a bad thing though.

You might look into some sort of sand sifting goby. I’m not sure on their tank size requirements but those would be fun to watch as well as a sand cleaner! Our LFS has one in their “not for sale” display ... I think it might be a diamond goby? Not sure. He’s a good cleaner though! I believe he might eat algae from the rocks too.

Culprit

You might look into some sort of sand sifting goby. I’m not sure on their tank size requirements but those would be fun to watch as well as a sand cleaner! Our LFS has one in their “not for sale” display ... I think it might be a diamond goby? Not sure. He’s a good cleaner though! I believe he might eat algae from the rocks too.

I'm gonna have a sand sifting goby. My planned stocking is a clownfish pair, a watchman goby OR a yasha goby with a pistol shrimp, and i'm debating between a sixline wrasse and a firefish

Oh I forgot to say the very thing I came on here to post! My biminI pink substrate, refractometer, and heater are supposed to be coming tomorrow! All I need to do is build my stand. EEK!

Wild Bill

Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair - Cryptocentrus cinctus/Alpheus spp. here’s a mated go boy with shrimp if your interested.

Culprit

Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair - Cryptocentrus cinctus/Alpheus spp. here’s a mated go boy with shrimp if your interested.

They have them paired at my LFS. Thanks though!

LJC6780

I love my wrasse but min tank size is 30 gallons and I know they love to swim ... and get decently big (at least compared to the tiny ones they sell at the store).

Culprit

I love my wrasse but min tank size is 30 gallons and I know they love to swim ... and get decently big (at least compared to the tiny ones they sell at the store).

Hmmm. I just really don't want it to eat my shrimp. I think I may stick with the firefish... But I'm gonna wait to see them at the store.

Well. Bummer. My order isn't coming until tomorrow! Seriously UPS lol

stella1979

Again... get a Scorch!!! I love those wrasses too but I think it's best if I wait for a bigger tank.

That holiday shipping has already started Culprit! I'm expecting delays for at least another month. Makes it kinda hard to be sure the kiddies don't see those packages!

Culprit

I know... its such a hard decision! Definitely gonna wait to see them at my LFS though.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that . Haha I've only gotta get presents for my parents and one sibling. What stinks is that we all use the same Amazon account

grantm91

Fire fish !!! But who knows maybe he will pull something totally different out the bag lol

Culprit

So as christmas is coming up my family is asking for gift and stocking stuffer ideas. What are some good cheaper gifts and stocking stuffers that's good for aquariums both sw and fw? I have super glue gel down, and gel filters, but I can't think of anything else

grantm91

Super glue gel was going to be my first say lol, pipette ? Reef roids maybe ? Towels ? Scalpel ? MinI diy-tweeser sets ? Just go full wack culprit and ask for a Dremel haha.

Latest threads

Top Bottom