Culprit's Journey Into The Dark Side - Page 28

Aqua Hands

So I'll be going to the fish store tomorrow! I'll be calling around to see who will buy my chalice for a good price.

Gobiwan will be coming out of QT tomorrow and I'll be getting another fish. After I get the fish I get through, I'll pop him back in for a round of Prazi. Debating between cards for the FW, Purple dottyback, royal gramma, or firefish for the reef, or a BangaiI Cardinal pair! I'm thinking I may get the bangaiI cardinal pair so I can start conditioning... but idk. What do ya'll think I should get?

I vote a firefish

Culprit

Really like a firefish too stella1979 but not sure how much it will hide!

Since GobiWan will not be going in the 20, there's definitely a fish opening. I think I'd be a bit nervous with clown pair, royal gramma or dottyback, and a six-line wrasse altoghter in one 20 long. But, it may be better as they/d compete and be fine, and not be bullied around like a more peaceful fish like a firefish, goby, or blenny. Oh yeah, that's another option. a type of blenny or goby.

stella1979

I really couldn't say bud... Scorch doesn't hide at all during the day, but it's a unique situation. He's really a joy to have and watch too. He hunts pods and stuff all day. He better leave the nudibranch's alone! (see, I find it an awkward word to say.lol) A firefish would probably be perfect in the JBJ as I doubt there would be any issue with the cardinals.

You want the clowns and the 6 line the most in the 20 long though, right? If that's the case I'd say see about adding a gramma or dotty last. The 6 line may be more aggressive than either of those guys, but perhaps they could hold their own? Idk really, but it's always easiest to rehome the most recently purchased, as you'd have a decent chance of just bringing it back to the LFS.

Culprit

I really couldn't say bud... Scorch doesn't hide at all during the day, but it's a unique situation. He's really a joy to have and watch too. He hunts pods and stuff all day. He better leave the nudibranch's alone! (see, I find it an awkward word to say.lol) A firefish would probably be perfect in the JBJ as I doubt there would be any issue with the cardinals.

You want the clowns and the 6 line the most in the 20 long though, right? If that's the case I'd say see about adding a gramma or dotty last. The 6 line may be more aggressive than either of those guys, but perhaps they could hold their own? Idk really, but it's always easiest to rehome the most recently purchased, as you'd have a decent chance of just bringing it back to the LFS.

Didn't think about a firefish in the 24... that would be awesome! BangaiI Cardinal pair, Firefish, and GobiWan.

Yes, clowns and sixline for sure. I thought that gramma and dottybacks were a little more timid, at least the gramma. Like, it tended to hide in the rockwork until it got comfortable as it was more of a deepwater fish. I was thinking gramm or dotty, clowns, sixline but idk. I know that I should add the clowns and let them get established before adding the six-line.

stella1979

You're probably right about the gramma or the dotty. I almost forgot they were rock dwellers and didn't think how they need to stake their claim first. Does the sixline also need a burrow? The clowns sure don't. So, I think you could make it work with the four of them. Your tank is set up well for breaking sight lines. What I probably worry about the most is feeding time, so best to get everyone fat and happy well before adding the most aggressive eater.

Culprit

You're probably right about the gramma or the dotty. I almost forgot they were rock dwellers and didn't think how they need to stake their claim first. Does the sixline also need a burrow? The clowns sure don't. So, I think you could make it work with the four of them. Your tank is set up well for breaking sight lines. What I probably worry about the most is feeding time, so best to get everyone fat and happy well before adding the most aggressive eater.

Yeah. No, sixline doesn't need a burrow. I think that sometimes they may wedge themselves into a rock crevice when they sleep but that's it. And agreed on the sight lines. I'll be feeding plenty.

I just realized.... I can't get a fish for the reef yet. It still has to finish fallow period. So I'll be getting cards for the FW. Finally! How do you QT fish that you're not sure are sick? Can you treat Freshwater fish with copper or do I need seachem whatever it is that's easy on the fish?

Also, how do I sterilize the QT right now? I'll be taking Gobiwan out tonight, as the copper is almost gone.

Wild Bill

Empty the tank and clean everything (including the filter) with vinegar.

stella1979

I sterilize qt's with bleach and hot water. Let stuff soak for just about 5 minutes, then scrub everything, rinse well and run with Primed water before using again. Sponges and sand usually get replaced, but I did clean my black sand with your boiled water method. It was scary all the same, and I was still nervous afterward since that sand had been in with DeeGee, (who possibly died of DGIV), and then used it in a betta tank! I poured boiling water over that sand 3 or 4 times, then rinsed in heavily chlorinated tap before a double rinse in heavily Primed tap. Keep in mind that I use RO or RODI for all tanks, but the Prime is for any bleach or chlorine residue.

I don't know about cards in particular. Smaller tetras are known to be sensitive to certain meds, but I would definitely still hit them with Prazi. If I treated for parasites, I would start with a half dose of something like Paraguard. Definitely stay away from formalin with cardinals. The last batch I brought home were totally covered in white spots and they started dying almost immediately. I immediately treated with Paraguard at a full dose in desperation, but it didn't help at all. Tried half doses of Rid Ich Plus in total desperation. Things got worse. Either something else was going on with those fish, or the meds made it worse... Thing is, their tails started falling off before the RidIch. Idk...

Other than getting the healthiest fish I can, I'm not totally sure what I'll do with the next cards. I want to use PrazI and Paraguard in qt, but I may see if meth. blue baths will be safer, or may not treat for parasites at all unless I see the need to.

This is not the case with all freshwater fish. Thing is, I remember seeing, (but can't find again), some info on small tetras being particularly sensitive to some medication... trouble is, I can't remember if I saw that regarding formalin, m. green, or m. blue. I was researching and ended up using all of them during that time... on the goldfish. He was my concern at the time and I only came across the tetra info in passing. I'm thinking maybe I should ask someone like TD about this on my own thread. Sorry, I can't be more sure of myself here.

Culprit

I'll move him over this afternoon, I'll do a long drip acclimation as I think there may still be trace amounts of copper in, but when I tested this morning it was almost all gone. Anyways, then I'll empty the tank, make a mix of really hot water and bleach, what, about 50/50 bleach/water? Or more like 25/75? Then let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse everything off in like the hose, then fill it up, prime it really heavily, and run the filter and airstones. I think I will bleach the matrix, then let it soak in primed water as I've heard of people doing that before. Then rinse it one more time and let airdry.

Yeah, definitely with Prazi. Not sure if I should use copper, or metro, or paraguard. I think I'll decide if I get bangaii's or cards when I get there. If I do get Bangaii's, I will let them sit, then do the same thing I did with Gobiwan, which is 30 day copper treatment, then 10 days of metro at the end. Metro is super gentle on fish, and will deal with any infections caused by the ich falling off. Metro treats Brooklynella, Uronema marinum. copper treats ich and velvet. Then PrazI wil treat any internal or external worms. This should cover anything possible for the Bangaii's. Cardinals are completely fine with copper.

here's what I just found on Formalin (rid ich +)
How To Treat - Formalin is very interesting because its potential is not fully known. It is best administered in a bath solution for 30-45 minutes, following the dosage instructions on whatever bottle you use; or at 150 ppm if using "100% formalin" (ex. Formalin-MS). The bath should be done in a large glass bowl or container, and temperature should match the tank the fish is coming from. A bucket is not advised as plastic may absorb some of the medication and then leach it back out during future use. It is imperative that you heavily aerate the bath solution for at least 30 minutes before and also during treatment to compensate for oxygen depletion. The fish should be placed in a premixed bath solution. DO NOT add more formalin after the fish is already in the bath.

For Brooklynella, multiple baths may be required (so long as symptoms persist), but it’s important to give the fish a day to recuperate in-between baths. Formalin has also been used as alternative treatment for external worms such as flukes and black ich. However, at least 2 baths are required (7 days apart) for the same reason described when using Prazipro. For all of the above, post treatment, the fish should not be returned to the same tank/water he came from to prevent reinfection.

You can dose formalin directly in a quarantine tank, but this can be risky due to the harshness of formalin and how quickly it can deplete the water of oxygen. Providing additional gas exchange to the QT is a must! A fish being treated must be monitored closely and should be removed if showing signs of distress - this applies when treating in QT or in the bath solution.

So, it may be owrth it to try a bath in rid ich for the Bangaii's? I will do research on meth. blue and paraguard for treating cards.

stella1979

25/75 bleach to water would be more than enough. The more bleach you use tyre harder it will be to rinse away. Bleach is slimy/slick so doesn't easily rinse when the solution is strong. I usually shoot for a 1 to 10 ratio but don't measure precisely.

If you want to be sure and precise, I'm sure you can find bleach sterilization procedures at the CDC's or some other .gov site.

Culprit

Moved Gobiwan, broke down and bleached QT, then ran with very heavily Primed water for about 1 hours, then drained, and let sit in the hot sun for 5 or 6 hours.

Went to the LFS today, picked up 15 lbs of reef ready rock, CUC for the nanocube, Paraguard, and 8 Cardinal tetras. They had candy cane pistols which I assume is a Randalls, looked exactly like it, for VIP price of $20, $5 less then normal! I was so tempted as I can't find Seawalker, I pretty sure hes in there but I csnt find him. Ill get him another shrimp eventuallu. They also had super duper cute tailspots, and gorgeous royal grammas and bangaiI cards.

Tetras promptly went in QT, they will be allowed to settle in for a few days, and then I'll do Prazi, then hit them with Paraguard, then 10 days of metro for velvet and uronomea. stella1979 the instructions say to dose every day until symptoms gone, how long should I dose? A week? The guy I talked to did a lot of WTing, said they wouldn't need much as they treated them already. Leery bc last bath I got was covered in ich... but I think proactively treating with Paraguard will get any possible diseases off, and a 4 week QT should be plenty of time to see any diseases.

I've decided on the stocking for my biocune:
1 YWG and pistol shrimp (GobiWan)
1 Tailspot Blenny (algae and cuteness)
2 BangaiI Cardinals
MABYE 1 fire fish but it depends on how aggressive Gobiwan and the tail spot are.

In the 20 lomg:
2 clowns
1 royal grAmma
1 six line

I need to cut out a section of tailspin he biocube hood so I can put a grow light over it and start some cheato. Right now it's having a really bad diatom/cyano/hair algae outbreak. Hopefully now I have a CUC in there (1 Emerald crab, 2 blue legged hermits, 1 red legged hermit, 5 astrea snails) it should start clearing up.

I busted up the rock tonight some, and will start mocking up scapes tomorrow. I'll be gone tomorrow midday through Friday evening but I think everything will be fine. I'll out the auto feeder on the QT for the catds.

Gobiwan has settled in well, braver then I've ever seen him, but it is still a new tank. I'm super hoping that once I get him a shrimp buddy, rock, and peaceful fish he will be a lot braver. Plus without constant traffic by his tank. He doesn't have a burrow yet, just been chilling. I'm only going to feed kn the front of the tank so hopefully he'll make his burrow near the front when I out rock in.

Scap ing will be an attempt at the lagoon style while still having lots of room for corals.

I talked to the main manager there about what corals sold the fastest for them. He said plain old euphyllia, your basic hammers, frogspawn and torches always sold the best. Said he'd always buy frags off me for s good price. Also zoas. Said blastos were really good, but hard to frag. Said Nems were really really good if I got a nice Rainbow or Rose bubble tip. Said people would always take those. I'm debating between RBTAs, or euphyllia and zoas. Would bangaiI Cardinals get stung by RBTAs? Will euphyllia get hurt by them? Zoas?

stella1979

Nice update C!

On the subject of apparently healthy cards and Paraguard - You know I'm leery of medding those guys, but would want to also. I think I'd do like another advisor said and work up the levels over a week. Once to full strength, another week or two should do the trick given the life cycle of ich. I haven't really put any research into Metro though, so am wondering if it would also take care of ich, and therefore, I might just do Metro. I'm certain that you have surpassed me with parasite medication research, so as nervous as I am about cards, I'd probably defer to you about this.

Can't really answer your questions about euphyllia... I can say that my hammers don't appear to harm Scorch, though I've only seen him touch them a time or two. Also, as scared as I've been of torches, mine isn't hurting the few corals that it can touch since it's mounting. I've got a digI that just doesn't really thrive or show really any signs of growth. It does have PE though, so I remain hopeful. Still, I needed to put that torch somewhere... it now rubs all over the digI throughout the day, it touches the skeleton of the frogspawn, and sometimes barely reaches my beloved war coral. None of them are showing signs of harm. Strangely, I know a torch can do harm, and I sometimes see a tentacle 'stuck' to the rock or the digi, like it's stinging the heck out of it... it's just not I guess. That, or the digI and war can protect themselves and the frogspawn's skeleton is probably not as susceptible to damage as the flesh. That's all the personal experience I got on the subject, but would also point out that one of Grant's nems ate a molly, (possibly another fish or two also, can't remember), and Inappropriate Reefer and the big red montI cap. Also, might a fish learn to stay away from stings? Hrmmm, in thinking about all this, I'd probably go with the softie/LPS tank if you also want to breed. Certainly juvenile fish are more at risk.

Oh! My LFS called the Randalls pistol a candy cane too. I hadn't heard the name actually, but the shrimp looked right and the guy there told me a Randalls is a candy cane. No worries about this shrimp either... they've already paired and this guy is acting just as a shrimp that hangs with gobies should. The killer Red Caribbean never acted like this guy does... because the Red Caribbean wants a curlicue anemone. That was my bad... not all pistol shrimp are the kind that go with nano fish!ops: We live and learn. $20 sounds like a fair price too. I was sorta close to buying one for $25 online AND paying for shipping, but just couldn't, so was resigned to the easier to find tiger pistol. I was super siked to see a Randalls in an LFS... finally! He was $20 too, and I know I talk up VIP Reef a lot, but I also love Ocean View... %10 off if I pay in cash.

Culprit

Evidentally not too healthy as I know you saw. Anyways, 4 Cards were stuck to the intake this morning. I put a sponge on it, so evidentally they were dead already. I will be returning them. On the metro, here's what I've found with it and ich, this basically sums it all up:

The best answer I can give to that is yes and no. Metro will kill the crypto parasite. If I were in a bind and had no better options I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I am very confident it would not to completely clear Ich from a tank if used as directed. I haven't found much any studies that show how to use it to completely eradicate the parasite from a system.

But, I do know for a fact it will kill velvet and uronomea. Metro is both an antiparasitic and anti-biotic. So it seems like a good all around, plus its gentle. Seems good to me.

Interesting.... I'll definitely be having a large garden, I'll frag off a few heads of my hammer, get some cheap frogspawns and eventually a torch, and zoas. Very good point on the juvie fish. It would be just like a really big pod to them. Or mysis shrimp.

Ohhhhh OK! I might have to pick one up when I return the dead cards. I'll swap them out for the same number of cards, get another rock, and mabye get a pistol if there's one there.

stella1979

Playing catch up again... and trying to find healthy-ish cards again. I have one LFS that I'll buy them from, and it's more than an hour from my house, so I've been calling weekly for a few weeks now hoping they'll tell me that they've got them again. Thing is, this stellar LFS actually qt's fish, unlike most near me, and they tell me that cards are usually delivered almost weekly. This tells me that if they are indeed getting the cards, they're not making it out of their qt either. Sometimes I want to give up on these fish, but I can't! It's frustrating with all the beautiful planted tanks full of cards that I see on YouTube.

How'd it go at the LFS?

Culprit

I hope you find healthy ones. I'm having the same struggles as you now, 2 more cards dead this morning. *sigh. At least I was going to the LFS today to return the original four dead, so I'll just take two. Unfortunantely and fortunantely lol I'm going to charleston for the week. So I'll just get store credit and leave the remaining two cards in QT. Those poor cards... I'm coming back this Friday, and then leaving for 2 weeks again on Wednesday. So I'm not going to start meds, anything, I'll just leave them in QT and fatten them up. At least now its only two cards, so if they die while I'm gone its not a huge deal. I'll have friends, but they don't know anything about fish so I'm just going to try and have them feed very ittle, ect. This was the same LFS tha I got the original 6 cards from that had ich, which I returned. This store is huge, and every other fish I've got from them has been healthy, but not the cards. I think I'l use the store credit for a pistol shrimp for gobiwan, and buy Cards from another LFS where they're more expensive but I've never got a sick fish from ever. Small LFS, but very knowledgeable.

Leaing means I also can't get ay corals, or the pistol, as I'm going straight from the fish store to my friends house. So.... I'll just be keeping my store credit until I'm past all vacationing.

I really really want a gorgeous tank full of shoaling cards like you too. Such gorgeous fish. They're just so finicky to get past the initial transition. From what I've read once you get them past QT and they've settled in their quite hardy.... but basically the not hardy/sickly ones get weaned out in QT

Culprit

Oh gosh... I just came back from vacation (charleston, SC, AMAZING!) and find my birdsnest bleaching from the bottom up, what's bleached is completely dead. Nart is talking me through it, evidentilaly its from alk swing. I've neevr really had a problem with alk dropping, whenever I've tested its been at 12. But as soon as I heard Nart say it was probably alk swing I tested alk and its 7.... Oh gosh. Thankfully thankfully thankfully I have lots of dosing stuff from the nanocube. I dosed 2 ml of reef fusion 2 to go ahead and raise alk 1 ppt. I will raise it 1 ppt every day to get to 10. Then I will put Seachem reef Builder in my ATO and calibrate it in the few days I have before leaving again for 2 weeks so that alk stays steady... hopefully,.

UGH why did this happen right now??? right before I leave again for 2 more weeks of vacation. I've never had a coral die on me and I don't want a crash or to come back to white birdsnest. Geez I'm worried.

I can't do a w/c as it would raise alk too quickly so I'm waiting now for the reef fusion to mix to test alk again make sure it went up 1 ppt.

Baba

puhh, Murphy's Law caught up with you... Such stuff happens "always" when not around. It seems you have it under control though.

I hope you have not skipped a visit to the South Carolina Aquarium.

stella1979

I'm so sorry about this C. I really hope the birdsnest makes a turnaround for you. From what I saw, it looked like it still has good PE, so who knows, hopefully it will be ok. Think about these huge colonies of acros and such that are so thick that the bottom died from not receiving light... That makes me think you can save your corals.

I wish I had good news for you about our slimer acro that suffered STN. I went ahead and fragged off the healthy looking branch and things looked okay for a while. Just last weekend I noticed that it's starting to bleach from the base too. It's really sad to watch.

The other thing I think of is when my tank went dark and still for a week last hurricane season. It smelled like rotten low tide after no flow for 36 hours. Got a single pump working, but no lights and temp was about 85°F. Nems were roaming and stretched longer than I thought they could get. Things were turning tan and I was terrified of bleaching... but everything came back.

I know this experience is disheartening and super stressful given that you're leaving again, but try to see the other side and that this too is another learning experience. I am SO glad that you were prepared with all that stuff. I'm very interested in hearing how those products work out for you.

So, beautiful Charleston and the mighty Atlantic. I'm so glad you had a blast! Where are you going next?

Culprit

I'm so sorry about this C. I really hope the birdsnest makes a turnaround for you. From what I saw, it looked like it still has good PE, so who knows, hopefully it will be ok. Think about these huge colonies of acros and such that are so thick that the bottom died from not receiving light... That makes me think you can save your corals.

I wish I had good news for you about our slimer acro that suffered STN. I went ahead and fragged off the healthy looking branch and things looked okay for a while. Just last weekend I noticed that it's starting to bleach from the base too. It's really sad to watch.

The other thing I think of is when my tank went dark and still for a week last hurricane season. It smelled like rotten low tide after no flow for 36 hours. Got a single pump working, but no lights and temp was about 85°F. Nems were roaming and stretched longer than I thought they could get. Things were turning tan and I was terrified of bleaching... but everything came back.

I know this experience is disheartening and super stressful given that you're leaving again, but try to see the other side and that this too is another learning experience. I am SO glad that you were prepared with all that stuff. I'm very interested in hearing how those products work out for you.

So, beautiful Charleston and the mighty Atlantic. I'm so glad you had a blast! Where are you going next?

Me too, its just pretty much the worse possible time. Good news is alk was up to 8.5 last night, so I dosed 2 more ml this morning and am waiting for it to mix. I'm going to get alk to 10, then put reefbuilder in the ATO and try and figure out how much I need. If alk is raised to 10 today I'll have until Wednesday afternoon to get ATO kalk mix right.

I hope its OK. I've never lost a coral and really don't want to now, especially this gorgeous colony.

I know corals are hardier then we think, but they don't go through alk swings in the wild. I just going to keep my fingers crossed I guess.

Yes, it was gorgeous! I went with my cousin and grandparents, so they didn't let me go very far out in the ocean. Barely past the breakers lol. Far enough out to body surf though which is mostly what I did. They made us swim in the lifeguarded area, which was right next to a pier! I was thinking, I know its lifeguarded, but I'd much rather be a lot farther away from that pier. Thankfully, with Alberto coming up, we completely missed it but NC and Tennessee got slammed.

I sampled steamed oysters on the half shell (YUM!!!!), and soft0-shell blue crab which I'd only had once before when I was really young. Delicious!! That is close to where I want to live, just a bit further up north. Mabye NJ. I love the ocean so much. We also went through historic charleston and it was super cool cause you could tell the houses that had been hit with cannonballs from the civil war! They had giant poles going through the houses holidng them together. It was so much fun. Definitely living by or close to the ocean when I move out.

On wednesday I'm leaving for a 2 week family trip out West. We've been waiting for this one for a long time, letting everyone get old enough to fully enjoy it. Its going to be awesome! We're starting in denver colorado, then working our way down to kanab in Utah, where we'll be staying for a week. Kanab is in the middle of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion. I can't wait!

I hate murphys law lol. Oh well. Gonna try and do what I can and keep my fingers crossed.

OH NO!!! Completely passed my mind!! I could have, we spent all of Wednesday afternoon in the pool since they wouldn't take us to the beach as it was "too hot and I want a nice cold shower". Yeah right. It would've been perfect. shoot! I think I'm going ot the georgia aquarium for my birthday though, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Wild Bill

Your gonna love Kanab. I call it gods country. Just stay away from the slot canyons if there’s any rain predicted.

Culprit

Your gonna love Kanab. I call it gods country. Just stay away from the slot canyons if there’s any rain predicted.

Thank you! I'm super excited about it. We're going to be going through the narrows. We'll change days though as I know it can be dangerous.

Ok. Time to figure out instructions for the aquariums.

I don't have an ATO for the Nanocube. I'll have them dump a half cup of water in every day. Salinity will slowly go up, but I'll take it down to 1.023 before I leave.

On the 20 I'm not sure a 5 gal bucket of water will work for ATO over 2 weeks, but I think it will be close. I think if it gets down to a mark I make I'll have them fill it up with more Ro/di. Alk may fluctuate a bit, but not too much hopefully. If anything it will be filled in the last few days before I get back.

High tech... Oh boy. This one will be trouble. I'm not sure if I want to risk them dosing ferts, or what. I will be setting out my pill box thing (S,M,T,W,T,F,S) for food for GobiWan, which means I can't use that to dose ferts. I'm thinking I may overload on ferts, raise them all high, then shorten photoperiod and CO2 to just 3 hours a day. No water changes on any of them. Oh, I just thought of something. When I leave I'll overdose on ferts, then turn photoperiod down to 3 hours. I'll make little baggies of fert mix and have them add the ferts like twice a week, which should be plenty while i'm gone. No chance of overdosing.

Reef tank, not sure what all needs to be done. Help me brainstorm. Check the Ro/dI topoff every day, makesure its up. I can't think of anything else, is it as simple as that?

stella1979

I couldn't give you any advice on the planted tank, but I think your salty instructions sound pretty good. Will 'they' be staying at your house while you're gone or coming to check in on things? I suppose either way I might leave some bullet points about things that would be worth trying to get in touch with you about... say, if a light doesn't come one day.

Also, how about feeding every other day while you are gone?

Culprit

I couldn't give you any advice on the planted tank, but I think your salty instructions sound pretty good. Will 'they' be staying at your house while you're gone or coming to check in on things? I suppose either way I might leave some bullet points about things that would be worth trying to get in touch with you about... say, if a light doesn't come one day.

Also, how about feeding every other day while you are gone?

No, they'll be coming over once a day. Good idea on the bullet points.

Will GobiWan be OK?

Culprit

4 days into vacation and from what I've been hearing the tanks are fine. Phew. Dunno about the bleaching but alk seemed to stabilize before I left.

We drove out overnight to Denver, CO wednesday evening through to thursday afternoon. We explored downtown denver that day despite being wiped. Got to ride the rtd, and see all the sights. We crashed that night, and the next morning went to Boulder where we hiked 4 mile out and back with 1500 feet of gain in two miles, then 1500 feet down. Straight up the Rockies. We climbed up to the flatirons on top which was scary but really cool. Yesterday we drove through the Rockies, stopping at saint mary's glacier, which had a lake underneath it, and people we're skiing down the glacier. We hiked all the way to the top, then ran/slid/footskiied to the bottom. Took us an hour to go up and 15 minutes do make it down haha. We made ourselves move on, and then stopped at hanging lake, which was a lake way up high above a canyon with a whole sheet of waterfall coming down. Above it there was the spouting rock which was where all the water for the waterfall came gushing out of a hole in the side of the canyon. Today we went to Arches National park where we drove through them and stopped and saw hanging rock, delicate arch, and a few others. Up on the trail to delicate arch, and on delicate arch the wind was whipping, about 50 mph. With a dropoff on both sides lol. It was super cool. Then we drove straight through the middle of nowhere right to our house. tonight we're oing to fishers towers and playing around and wathcing the sunset and probably stargazing. Tomorrow we're waking up early and heading out to Kanab which is where we'll be staying the rest of the time. Also we'll be stopping in brice in the way in. Here's some of my fav pics.

Wild Bill

Have a great time C. Sounds like you already are.

stella1979

Thanks for the flowers C!

Culprit

Thanks Bill! We hiked Observation Point in zion today, it was scary as I'm scared of heights, and your 1500 feet up on a path switchbacking up a cliff about 5 feet wide. Yikes! It was a warmup though... tomorrow we're going to attempt Angel's Landing. I will at least be trying to make Scouts lookout, but not sure if I'll be able to go all the way.

I love them so much. Also, we got a nice canon for christmas (still automatic, no DSLR), but it takes great pics as you can see. I have LOVED taking pictures with it.

Gobiwan is dead.

Lorekeeper

Oh no!

What happened?

stella1979

I am so very sorry Culprit. I'm sad with you tonight bud. I know all you went through with him, that this is a complete shock, and you are broken hearted to lose the first saltwater fish you got.

I'm sure C is feeling blown away by this tonight after everything seemed to be well upon his return from his family vacation. I am blown away as well. I feel like I know this fish that has seemed so strong and survived so much. C gave him excellent care during a stressful and dangerous time. So, I can't help but speculate on what may have happened to suddenly kill a hardy and well-loved fish.

This seems similar to the time I went away for a week for a family emergency, leaving a clownfish in a qt tank as well as the firefish and the reef. The reef is a mature system with lots of fauna for the firefish to hunt and is a comfortable place to the fish that has been living there for a year. The clownfish, on the other hand, he was in qt, a much younger tank without a lot of biodiversity, so fasted while I was away. Like Culprit, I returned from a trip to find salinity perfect and fish looking pretty healthy and hungry. I fed them, went to bed, and woke up to find the clown stuck to the intake. It was a shock because I had no concern for him the night before.

Gobiwan was recently in a quarantine tank and medicated, and did great through it all. Then he was placed in C's new JBJ with some live rock and coral, so added biodiversity, but still a somewhat immature tank overall. Still, all was well. While C was away there was a pet sitter, but I think mostly for the dogs and I'm unsure if the JBS or reef tank got fed at all. If Gobiwan fasted during this time, then surprisingly died the day after the first meal post fast... well, what does this say?

Neither Culprit or I are careless with feeding, so we wouldn't think that we were feeding too much. After my own experience and the heartbreak I'm feeling for my buddy tonight, I will likely feed a fish just a single mysis as his first post fast meal.

I can't imagine what else killed Gobiwan, particularly since he just came through treatment like a champ. There shouldn't have been a darn thing that got through that, and the fish is at least a few weeks out from it all, so the meds can't be blamed either.

Lorekeeper

That's rough. Again, sorry to hear.

xiholdtruex

I just screamed and everyone in my house was notified , I'm sorry of poor gobiwan

Wild Bill

I’m sorry to hear this C.

stella1979

I just screamed and everyone in my house was notified , I'm sorry of poor gobiwan
I did pretty much the same thing, and my husband and son were saddened too. We've all been rooting for C and Gobiwan for a long time.

Lchi87

So sorry; we’re here for you bud.

Baba

Sorry for your loss. This sucks big times.

Culprit

Thank you so much everyone. It means a lot. Its hard but I'm finally getting over it. This is the only fish that's been like this. I guess it was because he was so personable, and my first saltwater fish. getting him meant so much to me as it signaled the start of my reef, and all that. Idk what to say. He was such a great little fish. I know it seems weird but... he was the first fish that seemed like a pet... when he was put in the reef he would only come out when I was around. If id be wathcing him and someone else would walk by he'd go away. When I fed him he only came out when it was just me, not if someone else was there.

I didn't even feed him. I was actually going up to feed him when I found him. He had been fed like normal, except prepared foods instead of frozen. He'd got pellets, flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp and freezedried bloodworms ( bloodworms only twice).

It was my fault. The tank had been leaking from the top rim, so I lowered the water level. Of course, this meant water couldnt overflow so I put a spare maxijet 1200 in. I didn't realize it didn't have a cover on the intake. I found him sucked up onto it.

He got fed daily.

stella1979

I know just what you mean bud. When I was younger I had guppies sometimes, neons others. I cared and respected them as life that was under my care, but the fish game changed with our goldie, then with Scorch who is also a timid fish but has formed a special relationship with me that doesn't extend to other family members... and then of course Sam came along. All of these fish have really touched my heart and feel like much more of a pet than others. I have had serious panic with George and Sam before and know that losing them will be like losing my first dog, and that still brings heartache. Gobiwan was definitely a special fish and I truly mourn him with you. Nothing will replace him, but...

I'm so very excited for the new fish to come into your life today! We've both made mistakes and had tough losses, but lessons have been learned to make us better fish keepers. I have faith that both our reefs will have the desired nitrate level soon. Now doesn't that sound silly?

Culprit

I get what you mean. I hate losing fish in general but him I had a special relationship with.

I can't wait!! I'm about to leave, and I should be able to update with pics tonight. I'm super nervous and want to make sure they're ok. Do you think drip acclimation or the quicker dump a cup every 5 minutes to get them out of the ammonia water? I can't wait to get these clowns, not only because I love clowns and love the way these look but my reef will be soooo happy.

Good news. I'll be shipping out all the Chalice on Wednesday. If anyone here wants it claim it now or hold your peace. That means I can switch some frags over. I think I'll lop 2 heads of my purple/green splattered hammer, keep a bit of chalice, move some zoas over, and mabye some other frags if I think of any. Also, as soon as the clowns are into DT, it will be time for fish in the JBJ!

I think I've figured out stocking.

20 long:
Clowns
Sixline Wrasse
Starry blenny or Royal gramma

JBJ:
BangaiI Cardinal Pair
Jawfish or randalls goby/pistol shrimp pair
Tailspot blenny
Blue line blenny

stella1979

Why are the fish in ammonia water? Will they have been in a bag for a long time? Hmmm, I'd do drip if they're in fairly clean water or the faster method if water is minorly dirty... plop and drop if they're in ammonia laden water.

Culprit

Well there in about 1/3 full quart baggiws and it's a 45 minute drive home so I thought it would have some ammonia.

I got them and they are so beautiful!!! They even have blue!!! I'm in love! It's a male female pair obviously, and they're amazing

IMG_20180622_175826.jpg
IMG_20180622_175746.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views