Culling

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am trying to decide how to go about culling a few of my babies...one in particular has a badly bent spine. I hate the thought of killing it but I won't be able to breed or sell it and am not sure what to do! I have no more family members to give it to so I am about out of options for the poor thing!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Sorry you have to cull but it is probably better for the fish in the long run as it may have other problems as it grows.

sending good luck for your other babies!

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Sorry to say this, but, culling is normal if you are breeding fish. I bred My Koi for 2 years and culled hundreds of not quite right babies, including just bad colors. Now I don't bother with them and let the "non spawners" eat the eggs!
    It's hard to get used to! I guess doing the Koi made me a bit detached from eliminating bad stock.

5. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I know MM had a baby with a bent spine...I think Shawnie owns him now. ;)

6. titusxander Member Member

i have a little female guppy that has a bent spine, but i didn't have the heart to cull it.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Could you use it as a feeder fish? Less guilt that way...

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Are you planning on showing the fish? If not, why not see if your LFS will take some of your less desirable bettas? Or see if people here on FL would take them.

9. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

I praise you for being sensible and culling deformed ones or ones that don't meet your standards. I wish more people could do this! Not to set off a hot topic but i wish anyone who breeds fish would cull the deformed ones, i hate seeing people say " but its cute, or it seems happy or i don't have the heart..."

I use my oscar or jaguar cichlids for culling. To me this is seems the most natural way as in the wild the deformed fish would be culled by being eaten!

If you don't have any fish big enough to eat the fry maybe you have a friend that would like a few feeders?

Anna

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I disagree that an "undesirable" fish should automatically be culled. They don't have to be bred to live their life. Culling is not an automatic or a necessity to fish breeding. There are other ways to deal with it. In fact, all of the koi that you see at Petsmart, Petco, and your typical hardware store's pond section are culls. They're fish that don't match this or that color/fin/tail requirement of the breeders.

That being said, I don't actually see a problem with culling fish, if they are culled humanely (and preferably in a way that they continue directly into the ecosystem, either by feeding another fish or by becoming fertilizer).

My big thing is that I want people to know that there are options (just like when raising carnivore fish, most of which can be trained to eat fresh cuts of meat, fish, and invertebrates) and make a conscientious decision based on that.

11. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

It's up to you but I'd be leaning towards having a larger fish (ex. oscar) for culling. It's up to you. Selling sub par fish for pets to people in the area is an option but I'd be inclined towards culling health problems.

12. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Alright, I won't be backwards in coming forwards here.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little life is a little life and that baby has the right to be loved & survive as much as his/her brothers and sisters do. We don't cull deformed humans, instead we give them love and respect and let them live in dignity.

My Apatite, my first ever fighter had a broken spine. He could barely swim but he was the most darling, sweet, loving boy. He had a personality, he adored mosquitos and I could call him by name and he would recognise it. You can't throw that little life away.

I am begging of you, please don't harm them. Give them at least a chance.
    Post them to someone who would love, raise and look after it.
    Even if they died in international transit it is a better fate with even a 1% than a sentence of doom.

What if you are wrong? What if the baby is just an awkward grower or at a gangly stage. What if it just has a unique swimming style?

I am asking you to reconsider. That little deformed fish could be the smartest in your spawn with the most loving personality. And one that is 100% healthy could be vicious and nasty and go on to jump dividers and kill any other fighter that crosses his line of vision. But he survived because he was more healthy.

Save them please. I know I'm opinionated but I love my fighters & I cannot stand the thought that a gem of a fish could be killed because they were not perfect.

Reconsider. . .

13. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i have to say to me it depends on the deformity. if the fish is suffering, then culling is the answer. i also understand why breeders have to cull, there is just no way to deal with many fish that cannot be sold or bred. but, i still think it is worth a shot to see if anybody wants one. do you know any elderly people that you visit often? particularly ones with some kind of illness or ailment? or maybe a children's hospital nearby? many people with disabilities really love keeping pets with similar trials and troubles. not because they would with that upon anybody, but because they know how it feels and can relate. just a thought :) he could make a very special pet :) perhaps somebody on the forum wants him?

14. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have a pair of oscars if I need to go ahead and cull the poor thing that way, I just wasn't sure if there was a better way or not. I have several pet stores in the area that have said they would buy any healthy ones I have, once they are grown, that I don't want to hang onto for breeding. The reason I am thinking about culling him is he looks like he might be suffering. He doesn't swim nearly as well as the others and is very thin. I hate to kill one of my babies, but I hate even more to see it suffer. Right now it is only a little more than a month old. I am almost positive that in the end, it will die on it's own, but I don't want to put it through any needless suffering either. I love breeding and raising fish and can't wait until I have show worthy stock, but I sure hate this part!

15. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Can't you spare him a little longer?
    Maybe seperate him from the others and feed him on his own, you could really bond that way.
    You're killing me here, I don't want you to hurt him. :'(

Pretty please. . . .

16. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am right with ya! It just breaks my heart to think of feeding it to the big guys! I am not going to do anything for at least a week or more. Now that I have moved the fry to a much bigger tank, I am hoping it will do better. As long as it is healthy, I don't mind having a special little one...My mom collects 2 gallon cookie jars, so if it starts eating more and catches up a little to the others, it will have a nice home.

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

my boy calyton was a cull. He has a bent spine (~ shaped) and he is so special. YOu could always set up a tank for him to keep him separated and watch him.

But if you absolutely need to cull then i would say go for it. Just do it humanely.

18. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

In the end, this is Critter Fritter's choice, not any of ours. We've given him our suggestions.

I'd say that 99.99% of aquarists feed their pets some form of fish. The only difference between that and this is that Critter Fritter has had contact with this fish, and that, if he feeds it to his oscar, the betta will likely have a much quicker, more pleasant death than any fish that ends up in flakes.

As stated before, I'm entirely for trying to save the thing if you can, but the choice is yours.
    I'm sorry you've been faced with this decision. My only consolation to offer you is that, whatever decision you make, you will be making it with a lot of thought and knowledge, and that's important.

19. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Thank you everybody for your thoughts and ideas! Like I said, his shape and appearance are not a problem at all...I have PLENTY of 3 gallon cookie jars...I thought they were 2 but she said they were 3 gallon. I am just afraid he might be suffering. I am going to watch and see if it starts doing any better, but if not, I will have to cull it....I can't stand to think I let it suffer just because I don't want to do it.

P.S. By the way, I am a she!! LOL

20. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Critter whatever you decide to do I know it will be the right decision because I know you care deeply for your fish :). Personally I couldnt watch a fish suffer and fade away and die or any animal and if I could see signs of the fish getting worse I would cull but that is just me.

Sending you good luck for the little dude/ette.