Culling Time...

emeraldking

Yes, even if someone is breeding pure lines... Culling remains a must! So, it's time to cull specific guppy lines overhere.

DSCF0995.JPG

DSCF0992.JPG

DSCF0991.JPG

DSCF0990.JPG

DSCF0989a.jpg

Ohio Mark

Interesting!

Culprit

How do you know which ones to cull?

Anyway very cull! (sorry couldn't resist )

emeraldking

Culprit said:
How do you know which ones to cull?

Anyway very cull! (sorry couldn't resist )
LOL!
Those which just don't meet up the standards of that particular line will be culled.With the exception of just 1 tank, each strain is kept seperately. So, that they'll be bred pure. But even with pure linebreeding, there can always be some specimens which just don't match the standard.

Jocelyn Adelman

My least favorite part

ludez

How do you cull them? When I was breeding my own lines I gave 95% away to people. It's a tricky one because then it dilutes the hobby somewhat.

emeraldking

ludez said:
How do you cull them? When I was breeding my own lines I gave 95% away to people. It's a tricky one because then it dilutes the hobby somewhat.
I do have plural tanks overhere. Only those which don't match up the standards will be put in a mixtank. For those who may be interested in guppies from my mutt tank may hop by and pick up a number of them. Also lfs's in my neighbourhood are always interested in those mutts.
I've got a network of fellow breeders overhere and abroad who are basically also interested in the ones which meet up the standards. We also trade the same kind of strain with another. So, fresh blood can be added to the colonies. This past saturday we had a meeting as well and we've traded fish. I'm a member and also a board member of the dutch society of livebearers where most members are serious keepers and breeders. Main focus of this society are rare livebearers.
I also use these guppies to participate shows and so on.

Top Bottom