Culling pond snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by sarahyannetta, Aug 9, 2015.

1. sarahyannetta

sarahyannettaNew MemberMember

Hey guys, I've got two 1/4" pond snails in a 10gal tank and I've noticed they're dropping a buttload of egg sacks. Seeing as there's no way of knowing if I've pulled all the eggs out of the tank, I've resigned myself to having to dispose of them after they've hatched.

I'm really not happy about it, because I really like snails, but obviously hundreds of snails in a small tank isn't ideal. Can anyone help me out with ways to cull them off once they hatch? Preferably something quick and/or painless. There's a lot of things said about culling snails on the internet but nobody really seems to agree on the best way.

Thanks!

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Squishing them on glass works very well.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Don't over feed and you should be able to control the snail population.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

This may sound terrible, but you could just drop them in your trash. Just make sure you tie the bag so they can't get out.

Crushing would be a quick death, if you could bring yourself to do it. Freezing is also an option, but you'd have to leave them in there for a while.

5. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

Thanks I'll give the freezing/crushing a try when the time comes. I wouldn't want to risk putting them in the trash just in case they do escape. I'm sure my town would hate a sudden appearance of tiny pond snails all over haha

I normally don't over feed, but the tank also houses two pregnant platys, some of the smallest RCS I've ever seen in store, and a week old platy. Still trying to find a happy medium between regular food and food for the babies

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  6. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Some people plop them in a container of very hot, very salty water to kill them, I've not tried it yet but I hear it works well and is a fairly instant death.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Blk69Valued MemberMember

What about getting a snail eating fish. Loaches are nice.

8. TexasDomer

A 10 gal isn't big enough for a school of loaches.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Would suggest something like a dwarf gourami to eat snails but you'd need at least a 20g.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. TexasDomer

Your best bet would be to drop a slice of zucchini in there and pull it out the next morning with all the snails on it.

11. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

I actually never even considered salt. You'd think that would be my first thought lol. If I give this a try I'll let you know how it goes. Perhaps I'll have enough snails to try all suggestions and see which really works best... And now I sound like a creepy scientist.

As for adding other fish, as its a 10gal tank with a baby fish and baby shrimp, I'm unable and unwilling to add any larger fish. If it can fit a snail in its mouth, it can eat my babies!

12. Bijou88

It always struck me as the most humane, since most people describe it as kind of a "poof, the snail is gone" type of thing. I couldn't bring myself to crush or freeze them personally, as I'm a big lover of snails, freezing them seems like they'd die slowly.

13. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

Yeah same! The two in that tank were hitch hikers but I was so happy with them, they've got the cone shaped shell instead of the round one and I've actually never had pond snails like this before. I obviously hope things don't get out of control, I'd prefer not killing any of them, but with the amount of eggs I've seen I'm just looking for options before things get crazy

14. Bijou88

Can you take a picture? If their shells are pointy and cone shaped they might be trumpet snails, which can actually be very beneficial if your tank has sand.

Ah nm, if you're seeing eggs they're not mts, they're live bearers. They're probably bladder snails, which I think are pretty cute myself but they do breed like crazy, lol.

15. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  16. Bijou88

Yep, looks like a bladder snail. :)

17. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

Oh wow awesome! Don't remember the site I originally found pics like mine on but they had him listed as a pond snail. Now hes definitely an acute bladder snail

18. Bijou88

Ramshorn and bladder snails are both commonly referred to as pond snails, it really confused me as first, lol. They actually are pretty neat little snails, just wish the didn't reproduce so quicky, they're speedy little buggers too! :)

19. OP
    OP
    sarahyannetta

Yeah they are! I've got two horned nerites in another tank and I thought they were fast! With these guys I feel like I can look away for a second and they're already at the other side of the tank! I've probably cleared out 2-3 egg sacs a day for the past few days, they obviously ave no problem breeding lol. Thanks for IDing them!

20. Bijou88

No problem! Enjoy them before they overrun you, lol. Although if you're able to get most of the eggs out you might be able to control them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice