Culling Platy Fry

Vaughn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One of my platy gals just gave birth and I was only able to save 4. They were born around 9 last night and they're doing good today. I gave them some powder from the bottom of a can of freeze dried bloodworms this morning and they loved it! 3 of them are doing really good and swimming around the breeder box but the 4th one is just chilling on the bottom still. It looks healthy and I've seen it swim around but never for more than a few seconds. How long should I wait for it to get stronger before I decide to cull? I wasn't planning on these even existing but my male jumped the divider and got to my virgin female a few weeks ago. I don't want to have weak fish surviving and creating more weak fish but I feel like it's just still weak from birth and I'm making an unfair judgement. What would you guys do? I can post a picture but it's hard for my phone to focus on them. It's not on its side or curved or anything it's just sitting on the bottom of the box.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think that it’s too soon to decide whether or not to cull it. I’d wait until you can at least see their coloration

Vaughn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update: I’ve been watching it and it’s breathing pretty hard and every time it tries to swim it falls back down and starts gasping again. I wouldn’t say it’s suffering but it’s having a hard time.
I think that it’s too soon to decide whether or not to cull it. I’d wait until you can at least see their coloration
I’ll give it a few days but if it doesn’t start improving by next week I’ll go ahead and cull. I have another platy ready to drop any time now and don’t want to have unhealthy/underdeveloped fry taking up space and releasing hormones.

Vaughn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He’s still scooting around and he’s starting to look a little weird. I don’t know how to describe it but it just doesn’t look right. Like he’s not proportional at all and doesn’t look like the other three. He’s eating and trying to swim so I’ll give him some more time. I’d feel bad killing something that wants to live and is fighting. Definitely won’t breed him in the future if he makes it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom