Culling Of Bloody Mary Neocaridina Shrimp Help

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by MaximumRide14, Jul 19, 2019.

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hey guys, I'm having some trouble deciding which shrimp in my bloody mary shrimp colony to cull. I'm giving the tank a year to regrow the population before trying to sell them again. Right now I face the difficulty of figuring out which are actually bad enough to cull and which can stay. Can any shrimp keepers lend some advice about this process? I've been thinking about how I would actually cull them, but I think the only option I (unfortunately) have is to put them in a tank with my german blue rams. I still feel kind of bad even though it gives them a nice snack. I don't have any other tanks to put them in.
    Here's some pictures of shrimp I think I might need to cull but I'm not certain.
    IMG_4610.JPGIMG_4608.
    IMG_4612.JPGIMG_4613.JPGIMG_4614.JPGIMG_4615.JPG
    Most of these look like they could be sold as cherries, but not high grade bloody mary shrimp.
    Thank you in advance!

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    To be honest, most people in the US label slightly darker Cherries as bloody Mary when the real ones are craaazy dark red

3. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've seen a couple that are pure dark red. I'm happy with this one in particular. On the pic he looks a little bright but he is completely red (except for the claws). IMG_4609.JPG
    A lot of my shrimp look like #4 and the last pic of the original post though. Do you think I should sell them as cherry shrimp? I've struggled a bit in the past with finding a reasonable selling price due to their color grade. The shrimp that started this population came from Flip Aquatics, but I know a lot of culling goes into these shrimp to keep them fully red.

4. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    3 years
    I bought my mid grade cherries for something around $20 for 15 before shipping. I felt and still feel (two years later) like that was a fair price. Frankly I'm sure that someone just wanting to try them out would buy a dozen or so for around that on aqua bids if you're willing to go through the effort.

5. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would cull the tank and you could sell the culls as cherry shrimp. I’ve seen people online list shrimp as Bloody Mary culls but I believe they were still a darker red color opposed to regular cherries. However @richie.p knows more than me so maybe he could chime in

6. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have sold some batches on Ebay as bloody mary culls before, but I may use that price range in the future. Thanks! I may cull the absolute worst ones and keep the mid grade ones and just try to sell them quicker. I just hope the population can still grow larger.

7. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The ones in the first five pictures are low grade cherries that's what I'd class them as in the UK
    Your last pic I agree with @Giul they are a lower grade bloody Mary class (A) and your building blocks as they are nice shrimp a true bloody Mary is darker in colour

8. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    What would you grade the pure red shrimp? I don’t think the shrimp are big enough to sell yet but I can try to separate the ones that are culls. How expensive would you say a group of ten lower grade Bloody Mary would be? I would say that most are that A grade of Bloody Mary. There are some nice ones though.

9. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Prices vary all over the world I was speaking to ond member here today and their prices were double to to UK so start by pricing different grades in your country,

10. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    @richie.p , what would you call this then?

Attached Files:

11. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    a Bloody Mary (high grade)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  12. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    I guess I just have to experiment a little more with the prices. I think I’ll catch a couple of the worst ones and put them into a floating fry box to figure out if I can even sell them. Once I get home I’ll take some pics and post here :) Thanks for all the help so far!

13. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Bloody mary high grade

14. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Ratings:
    +796
    Experience:
    2 years
    I found four of the worst shrimp and separated them. I put some subwassertang and duckweed in there and I'll be giving them shrimp pellets. Do you think these could be sold as low grade cherries? Sorry these pics are blurry but they move pretty fast. They're also very clear.
    IMG_4625.JPGIMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPGIMG_4622.JPG
    I also saw these two questionable shrimp, but I didn't separate them. Do you think these are low grade bloody mary shrimp? They look a little less red in the pics but they are darker in person. The second one is definitely more clear than the first though.
    IMG_4627.JPGIMG_4631.JPG

EDIT: @richie.p I've tried to give my shrimp zucchini and kale but not many of them ate it. I tried cucumber just to see if they would still like it, there weren't that many that went for it. Should I try to put more in the tank?

15. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,449
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Just sell them as regular cherry shrimp, as for the food dont try and put more in if they are not eating it as theres enough food in the tank so stop feeding altogether for 2 or 3 days and try again, if you keep doing that they will.come round

16. AugustV

AugustVValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    I thought I would post a pic of one of my bloody marys to help you out. I'm not an expert, but I believe this is what you want to look for in ones to keep. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. This one is actually darker than the pic. My camera makes it look lighter.

I got an better pic. Bloody Mary! Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019