Culling goldfish fry

• Thread starter JamieLu
  • Start date

JamieLu

Well Known
So my babies are 6weeks old and i love each one. Theyre about 30ish and i have to admit i havent culled any yet. Mainly cuz none of them were showing any issues but now that they are bigger its clear to see that some of them have almost flat tail fins. More like a whale fin than a fish fin. I tried to get pics but its almost impossible with this phone. Anyway im planning on keeping 1 or 2, 1 has a slightly bent back and his tail fin is flatter. My problem is that theyre all growing well and getting along fine. I just cant bring myself to do it unless theyre suffering. I plan to take them to the lfs down the road but i was wondering if anyone thinks their fins could cause issues in the future. I appreciate anyone reading this. Im just having a war in my head on whats the right thing to do and need some clarity

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
JamieLu said:
So my babies are 6weeks old and i love each one. Theyre about 30ish and i have to admit i havent culled any yet. Mainly cuz none of them were showing any issues but now that they are bigger its clear to see that some of them have almost flat tail fins. More like a whale fin than a fish fin. I tried to get pics but its almost impossible with this phone. Anyway im planning on keeping 1 or 2, 1 has a slightly bent back and his tail fin is flatter. My problem is that theyre all growing well and getting along fine. I just cant bring myself to do it unless theyre suffering. I plan to take them to the lfs down the road but i was wondering if anyone thinks their fins could cause issues in the future. I appreciate anyone reading this. Im just having a war in my head on whats the right thing to do and need some clarity
I would probably cull the one with the bent spine. That's something most ppl cull for. It will just get worse as it grows. Something to remember as far as culling: "A small flaw on a small fish will become a big flaw on a big fish." Severely bent or crooked spines, or other problems that are going to affect the fish's quality of life are things that most consider appropriate reasons to cull. Remember, most people will be looking for the best, healthiest fish at the lfs, not a deformed runt. Unless you want to keep and cater to that one it'd probably be better off culled imo.
it's
The flat tail ones are probably fine, I'd love to see some pics if possible though. If you think it will negatively affect you're fish, you may want to consider culling, but note some people (myself included) actually like that in goldfish.

JamieLu

Well Known
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I would probably cull the one with the bent spine. That's something most ppl cull for. It will just get worse as it grows. Something to remember as far as culling: "A small flaw on a small fish will become a big flaw on a big fish." Severely bent or crooked spines, or other problems that are going to affect the fish's quality of life are things that most consider appropriate reasons to cull. Remember, most people will be looking for the best, healthiest fish at the lfs, not a deformed runt. Unless you want to keep and cater to that one it'd probably be better off culled imo.
it's
The flat tail ones are probably fine, I'd love to see some pics if possible though. If you think it will negatively affect you're fish, you may want to consider culling, but note some people (myself included) actually like that in goldfish.
Thanks for ur reply. The one with the bent spine (slightly downward)also has a flatish tail. Im planning on keeping that one for sure and also the runt. I think i actually got pretty lucky, i thought id have more with issues, this is my first batch of goldfish fry ever. Also prob my last. They are oranda and calico fantail crosses. I can try to get a good pic soon! My phone isnt great and fish are never easy to take pics of imo lol. Ill get something uploaded by tomorrow. I really appreciate ur time!

JamieLu

Well Known
15984486800174626594845885352096.jpg

JamieLu

Well Known
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
it's
Ok i posted a pic of 2 fish, one with a normal tail and one with a more flat one. Theyre all double tail . sorry its hard to get good pics lol

JamieLu

Well Known
15984488451568228233441896550577.jpg and heres the one ill be keeping. Hes not terribly bent

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
I can't tell super well, but they look pretty good. I can't tell the spine is really bent, it's not as bad as I though.

JamieLu

Well Known
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I can't tell super well, but they look pretty good. I can't tell the spine is really bent, it's not as bad as I though.
Ya its not something i think will really impair his life. Its only slightly sloped downward. I did put 4 babies in the main tank today (ones with messed up tails) in hopes that they would b eaten. 2 have been, the other 2 are doing quite well at hiding but i guess if they survive then they deserve to live lol. Its very hard for me to cull tho. It makes me sad. I wont be having anymore batches in the future, this one was a suprise and i wanted to see what they would turn out like. My female already laid another batch and it was very hard for me to not rescue the ones that hatched, but i dont have the time, space or guarantee that theyll go to a good home so im done for now!

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
JamieLu said:
Ya its not something i think will really impair his life. Its only slightly sloped downward. I did put 4 babies in the main tank today (ones with messed up tails) in hopes that they would b eaten. 2 have been, the other 2 are doing quite well at hiding but i guess if they survive then they deserve to live lol. Its very hard for me to cull tho. It makes me sad. I wont be having anymore batches in the future, this one was a suprise and i wanted to see what they would turn out like. My female already laid another batch and it was very hard for me to not rescue the ones that hatched, but i dont have the time, space or guarantee that theyll go to a good home so im done for now!
You may want to consider separating the males and females in the main tank so they chill out. Also, if you have clove oil, I consider that a very humane, gentle euthanasia, it's just an anesthesia overdose. I don't think the messed up tails ones were that bad, as I said many people actually like tails like that, and it doesn't really affect their quality of life as long as they can still move around and stuff.

JamieLu

Well Known
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
You may want to consider separating the males and females in the main tank so they chill out. Also, if you have clove oil, I consider that a very humane, gentle euthanasia, it's just an anesthesia overdose. I don't think the messed up tails ones were that bad, as I said many people actually like tails like that, and it doesn't really affect their quality of life as long as they can still move around and stuff.
I dont have clove oil but i am familiar with it. I may actually move my female but ill have to wait until the babies are big enough so they can switch places. Anyway thanks for ur time!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
These are common goldfish? The ones with the odd tails look a lot like the fancy fantail goldies, technically the same species just a different breed. It's possible the parents had some fancy recessive genes that popped up in their kids. I'm curious to see how they look when the're a couple inches long, I wouldn't cull any unless they are terribly deformed in that they can't move around or eat normally.

JamieLu

Well Known
Demeter said:
These are common goldfish? The ones with the odd tails look a lot like the fancy fantail goldies, technically the same species just a different breed. It's possible the parents had some fancy recessive genes that popped up in their kids. I'm curious to see how they look when the're a couple inches long, I wouldn't cull any unless they are terribly deformed in that they can't move around or eat normally.
No the arent common, theyre calico fantail and oranda crosses. I did cull a 2 because their tails were bent and flat. They also kept getting their tails stuck in my moss and java fern roots. Now im thinking maybe i shouldnt have culled them. I did remove the moss as well. There are 2 more babies i put in the main tank that are still alive. Im interested to see how they turn out as well!

BettasAreSuperior

Well Known
JamieLu said:
No the arent common, theyre calico fantail and oranda crosses. I did cull a 2 because their tails were bent and flat. They also kept getting their tails stuck in my moss and java fern roots. Now im thinking maybe i shouldnt have culled them. I did remove the moss as well. There are 2 more babies i put in the main tank that are still alive. Im interested to see how they turn out as well!
No, you did the right thing it would just hinder him and be very painful in the long run

Top Bottom