Cull Tank. Good Idea?

Maxwell Lehrich

hello fellow shrimp keepers, I often cull my colonies of my black rose, cherry, and yellow Sakura shrimp. I look mostly for adult females with bad color, and a little bit of males too if the color is very bad. I use to feed them to my rams and altums, but I started to like the wild type patterns and coloration they had. So I setup a 20 gallon tank for culls. They are truly stunning and serve good purposes such as a cleanup crew, algae eater, etc. Since all of them came from different strains, when they breed, they produce hybrid shrimp identical to wild specimens because they have tiger-like stripes, and little to no color. I even ended up with one dark orange shrimp that I see from time to time. Overall, I think that if you have an extra tank with non aggressive small fish, or a spare tank, set it up to put culls in. I think that wild type specimens are underappreciated and would look amazing in a natural blackwater biotope or serve a beneficial purpose in another peaceful tank. What do you guys think?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
HI and welcome there is a great going at the moment about mixed colours I'll go there now and attach your name that will call you.

OP
Maxwell Lehrich

Maxwell Lehrich

richie.p said:
HI and welcome there is a great going at the moment about mixed colours I'll go there now and attach your name that will call you.
Thank you

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Do you have pictures of your wild type shrimp? I would be interested to see them since I'm planning on experimenting with mixed colors.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom