Cull Tank. Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Maxwell Lehrich, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Maxwell Lehrich

Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +64
    hello fellow shrimp keepers, I often cull my colonies of my black rose, cherry, and yellow Sakura shrimp. I look mostly for adult females with bad color, and a little bit of males too if the color is very bad. I use to feed them to my rams and altums, but I started to like the wild type patterns and coloration they had. So I setup a 20 gallon tank for culls. They are truly stunning and serve good purposes such as a cleanup crew, algea eater, etc. Since all of them came from different strains, when they breed, they produce hybrid shrimp identical to wild specimens becuase they have tiger-like stripes, and little to no color. I even ended up with one dark orange shrimp that I see from time to time. Overall, I think that if you have an extra tank with non aggressive small fish, or a spare tank, set it up to put culls in. I think that wild type specimens are underappreciated and would look amazing in a natural blackwater biotope or serve a beneficial purpose in another peaceful tank. What do you guys think?

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi and welcome there is a great going at the moment about mixed colours I'll go there now and attach your name that will call you.

3. OP
    OP
    Maxwell Lehrich

Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +64
    Thank you

4. FeederGuppies

FeederGuppiesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    Do you have pictures of your wild type shrimp? I would be interested to see them since I'm planning on experimenting with mixed colors.

5. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No pictures showing getting Aquarium fish forum error message