Cucumber For Betta Fish?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by DanielleFish, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DanielleFish

DanielleFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +207
    Experience:
    4 years
    I've heard that feeding cucumber bits to Betta fish is good for them, it supposedly relieves constipation. I've done this with my Shy Guy, and didn't notice a big laxative effect, but he loves it!
    Anyway, just hoping feeding cucumber to bettas isn't bad for them, thanks!

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'm not surprised that it would help with constipation, it contains fibre and a whole lot of water! I wouldn't feed it regularly though, Bettas are carnivores and really aren't meant to eat a large amount of vegetable matter.

Is your Betta having an issue with constipation?

3. OP
    OP
    DanielleFish

Ratings:
    +207
    Experience:
    4 years
    No, not particularly, just heard feeding it 1x per week was along the lines of feeding him a green pea -- a preventative agent. Maybe that was wrong! :)

4. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,639
    Experience:
    2 years
    That sounds ok! Just don't feed him the peel, cucumber is known for producing gas.

5. OP
    OP
    DanielleFish

Ratings:
    +207
    Experience:
    4 years
    Yep, always peeled it. Thanks!!

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Mine never the touches cucumber I feed the snails. He loves to shred their broccoli to pieces though and adores his peas. :)

7. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Experience:
    4 years
    I didn't find that mine ate cucumber but when I added peppers and broccoli for the pleco during his time in the community tank he loved those

8. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +151
    Experience:
    1 year
    For some reason, my family almost never has peas in the house. We have cucumber all the time, though. I didn't know cucumber works similarly to peas!

Naturally, I went and tried this out today. Not sure about laxative effects, but both my betta boys loved the cucumber! At first I tried a large peeled block on a toothpick for my crowntail to nibble at--he didn't really seem to understand, so I cut off a tiny corner and put that on the toothpick. He immediately grabbed the entire thing! Then he sort of started to play fetch with himself as he'd take a bite and the cucumber would float away, and then he'd chase it down, take another bite, repeat. By the time I realized I could be taking pictures of this, he'd eaten the entire thing.

My delta tail is a prissy fishy so I cut up some smaller bite-sized portions for him. He immediately gulped down the first piece, and then looked expectantly at the water surface for more. So I fed him another piece. Now he's staring forlornly at the last spot the feeding toothpick was at, still waiting expectantly for more. He even did the little tail wiggle of joy after the first taste. He never does that (I'd only seen my crowntail wiggle after being fed).

Definitely going to add this to their diet, most likely as a weekly thing. Thanks, DanielleFish!

9. OP
    OP
    DanielleFish

Ratings:
    +207
    Experience:
    4 years
    Aw, I'm glad Hux and Ren (hope I got names right!) liked it.

10. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Experience:
    4 years
    I bought snap peas for a salad, and the girls went to town lol 970ed6f80a0bbb1d6440402e7b4b1a10.