Cuckoo catfish in my 55 gallon mbuna tank?

Cichlidkid09

Would this work?

MacZ

In a Mbuna sized tank (400 liters+), yes. In my opinion Rift Lake Synodontis are the only suitable non-cichlids for a Malawi tank.
But the tank size you're asking for is too small for Mbuna or any Malawi cichlids in the first place. I might have voiced concerns when you wrote about setting that tank up, but I have to admit... I don't remember usernames well.

And please don't tell me there are people that do it and say it works. I have not seen a Malawi tank under 350-400 liters that worked long term as a display in 10 years of breeding and selling Rift Lake cichlids. 200 liters / 55 gallons only works as a breeding tank for a single species when there is the option to separate fish at any time or as a growout until the juveniles reach 6-7 cm.

Cichlidkid09

In a Mbuna sized tank (400 liters+), yes. In my opinion Rift Lake Synodontis are the only suitable non-cichlids for a Malawi tank.
But the tank size you're asking for is too small for Mbuna or any Malawi cichlids in the first place. I might have voiced concerns when you wrote about setting that tank up, but I have to admit... I don't remember usernames well.

And please don't tell me there are people that do it and say it works. I have not seen a Malawi tank under 350-400 liters that worked long term as a display in 10 years of breeding and selling Rift Lake cichlids. 200 liters / 55 gallons only works as a breeding tank for a single species when there is the option to separate fish at any time or as a growout until the juveniles reach 6-7 cm.
Thanks! Also I’m pretty sure that was someone else you talked to. I wasn’t on here when I was setting the tank up/ before. I honestly have been planning on getting a larger tank anywhere from 75-125 gallons to upgrade them.

MacZ

Thanks! Also I’m pretty sure that was someone else you talked to. I wasn’t on here when I was setting the tank up/ before. I honestly have been planning on getting a larger tank anywhere from 75-125 gallons to upgrade them.
Allright, then I would definitely prioritize the upgrade before any stock additions.

Cichlidkid09

Allright, then I would definitely prioritize the upgrade before any stock additions.
100%. Thank you for this. The fish I have are still young and I’m almost certain I can upgrade before they grow large. Is there any specific reasons you advise against keeping them in tanks of that size? I’m not saying your wrong at all just curious. Either way I’ll be upgrading

MacZ

The fish I have are still young and I’m almost certain I can upgrade before they grow large.
I hope so, with most species you have a year tops until an upgrade is absolutely necessary.

Is there any specific reasons you advise against keeping them in tanks of that size?
The territorial behaviour and aggression of Malawi cichlids can only be properly managed in a appropriately big tank. It's not even that much about volume, it's about space. The territory sizes in the wild are enormous. There are species that defend a territory of 5 - 6 METERS diameter in Lake Malawi, with the average being 1.5 - 3 meters. Imagine them crammed in a tank only 1/5 of that size.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tezzy
Replies
Views
CHJ

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Top Bottom