CUC question

David C

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been looking at making an online purchase of my CUC since the prices are so much lower. Based off several different sites recommendations, I would be looking at about 350-400 snails and 100 small hermits. Maybe this is just me, but it seems absurd that I would need this many inverts in the tank. Am I being stupid or are the sites trying to boost sales? At 40 cents a crab and the such, we aren't talking about huge money, but it still seems insanely excessive to put that much in a 90gal tank. Please someone set me straight :;bb

Dave

Viper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey dave, not that I know too much, but that does sound like a ridiculous number. I have 6 snails currently working my 30 gallon tank. if and when I get more growth I might bump it to a dozen, but honestly these guys are doing a awesome job, i'm actually afraid they are out of food/algae to eat. I have 4 turbos that prob do about 6-8 circles around my tank and I have 2 Nerites. i'm guessing a number around 25-50 snails would suffice depending on how bad your tank needs them and a few hermits. But that's just a guess. you can always add more.

Morgan111

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rule I learned was 1 nessarius snail per gallon (the small version) and 1 crab per 10 gallons .... I just buy the others as needed for algea

locoyo386

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
David C said:
I've been looking at making an online purchase of my CUC since the prices are so much lower. Based off several different sites recommendations, I would be looking at about 350-400 snails and 100 small hermits. Maybe this is just me, but it seems absurd that I would need this many inverts in the tank. Am I being stupid or are the sites trying to boost sales? At 40 cents a crab and the such, we aren't talking about huge money, but it still seems insanely excessive to put that much in a 90gal tank. Please someone set me straight :;bb

Dave
Yeah, that is way too many. 1-2 per 10 gallons sounds about right. Also note that the shipping and handilng is what gets you on the mail orders. Compare both costs before you decide to buy online.

OP
D

David C

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone, at least I don't feel crazy anymore. I figure since I have a DSB, ill go a little heavier with the nasserous (sp?) snails but at least your guys' recommendations are more on track with what I would *think* is reasonable.

Dave

Morgan111

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
harpua2002 said:
Ceriths are also supposed to be good for sand sifting... at least, that's what I have read.
I thought they were algae snails? I could be wrong

ATP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
some good CUC and I seperated them to either they stay in sand or rocks, glass, etc.

Algae on rocks, glass:
hermits (prefer scarlets IMO)
astrea snails
mexican turbo snails
Tronchus snail
emerald crabs
lettuce nudibranches

Sand stirrers, diatoms, etc:
Tigertail Cucumber
Nassarius snails
Cerith Snails
Bumble bee snails
Sand shifting Stars (only if you have a real DSB and lots of food/junk)

OP
D

David C

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice break down ATP, thanks for the info.

Dave

New Threads