CUC question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by David C, Mar 15, 2010.

1. David CWell Known MemberMember

I've been looking at making an online purchase of my CUC since the prices are so much lower. Based off several different sites recommendations, I would be looking at about 350-400 snails and 100 small hermits. Maybe this is just me, but it seems absurd that I would need this many inverts in the tank. Am I being stupid or are the sites trying to boost sales? At 40 cents a crab and the such, we aren't talking about huge money, but it still seems insanely excessive to put that much in a 90gal tank. Please someone set me straight :;bb

Dave

2. ViperNew MemberMember

hey dave, not that i know too much, but that does sound like a ridiculous number. I have 6 snails currently working my 30g tank. if and when i get more growth i might bump it to a dozen, but honestly these guys are doing a awesome job, i'm actually afraid they are out of food/algae to eat. I have 4 turbos that prob do about 6-8 circles around my tank and i have 2 Nerites. i'm guessing a number around 25-50 snails would suffice depending on how bad your tank needs them and a few hermits. But thats just a guess. you can always add more.

3. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

The rule I learned was 1 nessarius snail per gallon (the small version) and 1 crab per 10 gallons .... I just buy the others as needed for algea

4. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, that is way too many. 1-2 per 10 gallons sounds about right. Also note that the shipping and handilng is what gets you on the mail orders. Compare both costs before you decide to buy online.

5. OP
    OP
    D

David CWell Known MemberMember

Thanks everyone, at least I don't feel crazy anymore. I figure since I have a DSB, ill go a little heavier with the nasserous (sp?) snails but at least your guys' recommendations are more on track with what I would *think* is reasonable.

Dave

6. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ceriths are also supposed to be good for sand sifting... at least, that's what I have read. :)

7. Morgan111

I thought they were algae snails? I could be wrong

8. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, they eat algae. Pretty sure they stir sand too.

9. Morgan111

cool had no idea

10. ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

some good CUC and I seperated them to either they stay in sand or rocks, glass, etc.

Algae on rocks, glass:
    hermits (prefer scarlets IMO)
    astrea snails
    mexican turbo snails
    Tronchus snail
    emerald crabs
    lettuce nudibranches

Sand stirrers, diatoms, etc:
    Tigertail Cucumber
    Nassarius snails
    Cerith Snails
    Bumble bee snails
    Sand shifting Stars (only if you have a real DSB and lots of food/junk)

11. OP
    OP
    D

David CWell Known MemberMember

Nice break down ATP, thanks for the info.

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice