Cuban Ditch Fish are prego!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so my 3 female Ditch Fish are all gunna have fry soon! how long are they pregnent for? the one thats the least pregnent has been noticalbly so for a few days, and the the longest one for a about a week. im not gunna separate the fry because the tank is already over stocked, so im just gunna let nature do what ever its going to do, but other than that, should i do anything special for them?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
These are livebearers correct? I would think their gestation period would be similar to guppies which is around 30 days. I found this link, I am pretty sure this is the same fish you have:http://diszhal.info/english/livebearers/en_Girardinus_falcatus.php
It says 25 days for gestation and 10-40 fry. If they are like other livebearers than they will probably eat the fry and if they don't the others will.
Hope this helps!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep that them ^_^ i dunno why, but the internet hates me when i try to find these guys! maybe its 'cause i use their common name instead of their latin one... i did find one site tho that said they dont eat the fry, but some of my guppies dont eat fry and some of them do, so i dunno lol

does any one kno if its normal for them to get more bold colors when they're pregnent? all 3 of my females are showing their normal black spots but they are more prominent, and they're swimming around with their fins all spread out like they own the world and if another Ditch Fish comes up to them, they case them away and nip at them. XD

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never had problems with mine eating their fry
Carol

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aren't they a type of minnow? Google has nothing under cuban ditch fish, with the exception of this very post.

I see that you had posted another thread looking for information on them.... I'll share the link that was posted to that thread, so people know what species you're talking about.

Last edited:

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aren't they a type of minnow? Google has nothing under cuban ditch fish, with the exception of this very post.
they're also called Yellow Bellied Minnows (or some thing along those lines) and a couple of other things... or Goldbelly Topminnow. i'll see what else i can find!

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their latin name is Giradinus falcatus
Here is what they look like

carol
AHHH I see you found it too

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their latin name is Giradinus falcatus
Here is what they look like

carol
AHHH I see you found it too
yeah, thats the website i found a while ago when i 1st got them. someone posted it for me somewhere.... maybe in the IDing section....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh was it u? lol i didnt remember who did it XD

so does anyone know whats up with their colors?
What about their color? They are virtually colorless I know their called yellow bellied minnows but never seen any with yellow bellies
Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What about their color? They are virtually colorless I know their called yellow bellied minnows but never seen any with yellow bellies
Carol
"does any one kno if its normal for them to get more bold colors when they're pregnent? all 3 of my females are showing their normal black spots but they are more prominent, and they're swimming around with their fins all spread out like they own the world and if another Ditch Fish comes up to them, they case them away and nip at them. XD"

that color XD

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have pictures of them? I've never seen them with spots or colors would love to see them
Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have pictures of them? I've never seen them with spots or colors would love to see them
Carol
mmmm... i'll try. its not on their bodies, just their fins. the little black dot on their fins that are usually really hard to see, u know? now i can see them from a few feet away. its kinda wierd lol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
here we go! i was surprised at how eay it was to get this! they were all like "oooooh whats that?!" when i put my phone up to the tank XD the one in the middle was too close for the camra to focus on, but the one to the left of her showed up perfectly!

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool pic but I'm not sure now that's a cuban ditch fish(Girdibus falcatus).
Look at the shape of the tail and other fins. Compare it to the pics in the link.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How round and how much color is in the fins.
Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
their fins usually arent colored like that, thats why i was asking if any one knew about it. as for her tail, i looked at the pic and the link and the fish, and its just that she was in mid-swim when i got the shot. all their tails are sorta pointed at the tips and not round like the pic makes it look. they look just like the ones in the link, other than the wierd colors that are showing up now. what really wierd is the fast that they're all active and eating and not showing any signs of sickness or anything, so im not sure why their getting bolder colors... ???

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so as their pregnency gets further and further on, the random black colorations are fading. im still dunno whats up with it, but its wierd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom