Cuban Ditch fish (A.K.A Yellow Bellied Minnows) Care Info Needed Help 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have some Cuban Ditch Fish (they were found in a pond. its a long story....) and i don't know anything about them. the are simular to guppies in appearence, tho they don't have any colors. they're just a clear ivory/tannish color, with a few black scales here and there (tho u can't see the black from farther then 3ft). so does any one kno anything about these guys, and what they need? any bit of info would be greatly appretiatied! <3

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
are you talking about mosquitofish?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no, they don't have any color. i did some resreach on google and they are deffiantly Ditch Fish. they are rare (which is funny because we got them from a POND XD) and there isnt much out there about them, other then what they like to eat, which is ppretty much the same as guppies. I'll see if i can find the site i found them on...

EDIT~ heres the link!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The scientific name for Cuban Ditch fish is Giradinus falcatus
Does this look like your fish

Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly said:
The scientific name for Cuban Ditch fish is Giradinus falcatus
Does this look like your fish

Carol
yeah, that's the site i was talking about. it wasn't very helpful, but it could just be me ^_^'>

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Akari_32 said:
yeah, that's the site i was talking about. it wasn't very helpful, but it could just be me ^_^'>
No it wasn't very helpful I just wanted to confirm that is the fish you have.
I have kept them in the past and they are very easy to keep. they will eat anything that hits the water and didn't seem to be aggressive at all. they do multiply fairly easily.
I kept them at a PH of 7.6 (although I think they would acclimate to just about anything.
Themp was 78F but coming from ditches originally (yep they really did) they can handle cooler as well as warmer temps as long as it rises or lowers slowly.
Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i dunna what my pH is, but they seem alright, eating and playing (but mostly eating XD). i have a Tetra 10-30 preset heater in the tank. they get along with every one and no one seems to pick on them (tank mate are a gourami, rainbow shark and i white-spot doradid, each about 4 inches long. also 4 guppy fry, but they are in a breeders net). i don't think any of them are quite old enough to breed, tho i did the male chase after one of the females once.

so, how long do they live? and how many fry do the drop? also, do u know how good the market is for them? i may sell the fry, tho I'm not sure yet. i have found one lone fry, but I'm not sure if its a guppy or a ditch fish... ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They should be fine with those. Mine usually dropped about 10 at a time. as for the market I'm not sure. We always sold/traded at an aquarium auction.
Carol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think when i get some, I'll try a local store that i go to all the time. i sold 14 guppies (most were about 7 months old) for $4 there, even tho they said they don't buy guppies! XD then i got Damon, Elena and Amorak for less tham what is costs for 1 guppy ^_^ mufufufufufu >=-D

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads