Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings, Fishlore!

I used to keep crystal red tanks with complete success on massively differing water parameters, but I have no idea what's going on now.
Lately, I decided to buy Crystal Reds and some King Kongs for the tank, and they've been mostly fine...
Until I find them dead on the floor, without any sign of sickness or stress. Same thing goes for cherries, and I can't find anything wrong with my parameters:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Temperature: 74.2 degrees Fahrenheit

As of now I lost 3 of my 5 crystals and numerous red cherries, I really wish I can catch the culprit to this soon so I could at least breed those two for a new batch. The Crystals were drip acclimated for an hour and 30 minutes, and the first death happened a week after introduction.
I kind of suspect a bacterial infection, but none of the shrimp show any symptoms of it, their heads aren't inflammed when I find them dead.
Currently there is no CO2 injection, was planning to make one for the tank, but am currently distracted with my current predicament.

It's weird, I have kept Crystals before at much more extreme conditions at 7.8 pH, 80 ppm Nitrates. The last two are a female Crystal Red and a male red King Kong, and I hope that I could at least save these.

The tank is also weekly dosed with Azoo Vita&Mineral Plus, meant for shrimp consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi, can you please give your gH, kH, and TDS? Were there any "bands" behind the heads of the deceased shrimp?
Any signs of vorticella or scutariella?
And signs of Hydra?

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gH: 5
kH: 3
TDS: 168
The deceased shrimp look completely healthy, no signs of shell rot or any sort of vorts and scutes, hydras were taken care of a long time ago with Mebendazole a couple weeks into the tank's creation

EDIT: Starting to suspect another case of bacterial infection, only that this strain doesn't show the normal signs of the infection.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your parameters seem pretty good, but I would try and get the gH up to six, I had some issues with my cherries and CBS when it was at five.
Bacterial infections would be my next guess, I've seen all kinds of meds for that.
I cleared out a bacterial infection in my cherries with large water changes, a 40% change on the first day, then for almost two weeks I did a 20% daily.
Some people do a 100% water change and reacclimate their shrimp to the new tank water.
Mark's Shrimp Tanks has a good video about dealing with this, and I'm sure flip aquatics does as well (on YouTube for both)

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I watched those videos, actually, and in my experience the only thing that worked are the drastic measures such as chemicals.

A month ago the same tank had a proper, full-blown bacterial infection that I cured via Tetracycline, accompanied by massive water changes, though lost some of my best Blue Velvets.
I have Hydrogen Peroxide at the ready this time since the other packs of Tetracycline I have are 6 months out of date.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry for your losses, I've also heard of using Kanaplex, and I've had some normal cherries, amanos, nerites, and mystery snails in a tank I was dosing and they were all fine.
I hope you're able to fix this one without any more losses.
Here's a page I really like to use a lot, you probably already know about it, lol
Shrimp Diseases and Diagnosis
Edit: also with my bacterial infection, only about 1/3 actually showed the inflammed heads.

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That page helped me understand the diseases of shrimp long before I had the plague in my tank, though the disease in the other tank at the time was an extremely odd and unseen version of what I would only call a mix of Bacterial infection, muscular necrosis and brain damage. Needless to say that tank was doomed.
Out of fear, I decided that I will start dosing Hydrogen Peroxide to the tank for a week and start a new biomedia with the huge stock I still have of Seachem Stability.

EDIT: Argh, only had time now to check which King Kong died, and it's the female with white-tipped legs. The other doesn't seem to be looking so hot and the only Crystal is doing fine, picking away at anything it could find.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dang, that's terrible. I'm so sorry, it's so frustrating when you don't know what's going on.
It's funny, the one I had seems odly similar to yours. All the babies/juveniles got muscular necrosis, the adults dropped dead and 1/3 had inflammed heads, and every now and then one adult would just be laying on the floor twitching or waving it's legs for a day or so before it would pass.
One thing I also did was entirely removed and replace my filter. It actually seemed to help, and because it was so heavily planted I didn't have any ammonia or nitrite spikes.
I really hope the hydrogen peroxide and new biomedia helps

TheDarkAbyss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Checked the tank an hour later, some more shrimps died, one had clear signs of bacterial infection.
I removed my HOB when I was giving the treatment and instead left in a rather new sponge filter, I'll be doing the same procedure and will be crossing fingers that the other Red King Kong will pull through, along with my Black Velvets and Fire Reds.
I'm thinking of risking it and putting those two really expensive Crystals in a breeder box in the second tank I have, which is swarming with unusually aggressive Amano Shrimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom