Crystal Red vs cherry shrimp

Blk69

Active Member
Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
13
Experience
More than 10 years
Does anyone know how haerty the crystal red shrimp are vs the cherry. Can get the crystals for about 1/2 the price of the cherry locally.
 

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,384
Reaction score
302
Experience
More than 10 years
Blk69 said:
Does anyone know how haerty the crystal red shrimp are vs the cherry. Can get the crystals for about 1/2 the price of the cherry locally.
Crystal shrimp are very sensitive and need water around 6.5ph or lower. Cherry shrimp are very hardy and can live at anything 6.5 and above.

It is weird that crystal shrimp are cheaper for you, as normally crystal shrimp sell for around $5 each, at least for decent colored ones. Cherry shrimp go for $1-3 each depending on the coloration.

If you are just starting with shrimp then cherries are the way to go, much easier. Here is a link to an article I put together that has most of the basics about freshwater shrimp keeping....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/freshwater-shrimp-keeping.23/
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
B

Blk69

Active Member
Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
13
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherrys are $7 each at LFS. Crystal as $4 each local breeder. My water is 8.2 PH. can the cherry's live in this?
 

BDpups

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
10
Location
S. Heaven
Experience
More than 10 years
Blk69 said:
Cherrys are $7 each at LFS. Crystal as $4 each local breeder. My water is 8.2 PH. can the cherry's live in this?
That should be fine.


 

Ken Ooi

Active Member
Member
Messages
355
Reaction score
69
Location
Sydney
Experience
5 years
IMG_8119.JPG
Crystal Red are much harder to keep alive. Tried with 3 Red Crystals but the end result is the same. Dead or MIA. Strangely my Crystal Black Shrimp of which 4 are alive over many months which leaves me to query whether it's the grade of shrimp that's making it more hardy than my red ones. The yellow and orange shrimp have perished in the same tank. The RCS are multiplying which means the water parameters are stable.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,749
Reaction score
4,710
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ken Ooi said:
IMG_8119.JPG
Crystal Red are much harder to keep alive. Tried with 3 Red Crystals but the end result is the same. Dead or MIA. Strangely my Crystal Black Shrimp of which 4 are alive over many months which leaves me to query whether it's the grade of shrimp that's making it more hardy than my red ones. The yellow and orange shrimp have perished in the same tank. The RCS are multiplying which means the water parameters are stable.
In response to the grade of them - CRS are really inbred to have the color while CBS are the "original" color or wild version, the CRS were an accident. The almost white CRS are the most expensive and very delicate, CBS are much hardier than their CRS counterparts.
 

Ken Ooi

Active Member
Member
Messages
355
Reaction score
69
Location
Sydney
Experience
5 years
Mcasella said:
In response to the grade of them - CRS are really inbred to have the color while CBS are the "original" color or wild version, the CRS were an accident. The almost white CRS are the most expensive and very delicate, CBS are much hardier than their CRS counterparts.
It certainly has been proven correct. Lost all my Crystal Red shrimp and one newly purchased Red Crystal shrimp died within 5 minutes right before my eyes when it entered the tank from the bag. The Crystal Black Shrimp I added is still there along with the Tiger and hybrid Tiger Bee shrimp which are all tough as nails. I have put the white flag out in relation to keeping Red Crystal shrimps!
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,749
Reaction score
4,710
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ken Ooi said:
It certainly has been proven correct. Lost all my Crystal Red shrimp and one newly purchased Red Crystal shrimp died within 5 minutes right before my eyes when it entered the tank from the bag. The Crystal Black Shrimp I added is still there along with the Tiger and hybrid Tiger Bee shrimp which are all tough as nails. I have put the white flag out in relation to keeping Red Crystal shrimps!
Yup, that's why people repeat and repeat they need certain water parameters to even survive.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
85
Guests online
2,240
Total visitors
2,325

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom