Crystal Red vs cherry shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Blk69, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Does anyone know how haerty the crystal red shrimp are vs the cherry. Can get the crystals for about 1/2 the price of the cherry locally.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I believe Crystal Red Shrimp are more sensitive compared to cherries

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Crystal shrimp are very sensitive and need water around 6.5ph or lower. Cherry shrimp are very hardy and can live at anything 6.5 and above.

It is weird that crystal shrimp are cheaper for you, as normally crystal shrimp sell for around $5 each, at least for decent colored ones. Cherry shrimp go for $1-3 each depending on the coloration.

If you are just starting with shrimp then cherries are the way to go, much easier. Here is a link to an article I put together that has most of the basics about freshwater shrimp keeping....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

4. OP
    OP
    B

Blk69Valued MemberMember

Cherrys are $7 each at LFS. Crystal as $4 each local breeder. My water is 8.2 PH. can the cherry's live in this?

5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

That should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Ken Ooi

Ken OoiValued MemberMember

IMG_8119.JPG Crystal Red are much harder to keep alive. Tried with 3 Red Crystals but the end result is the same. Dead or MIA. Strangely my Crystal Black Shrimp of which 4 are alive over many months which leaves me to query whether it's the grade of shrimp that's making it more hardy than my red ones. The yellow and orange shrimp have perished in the same tank. The RCS are multiplying which means the water parameters are stable.

7. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

In response to the grade of them - CRS are really inbred to have the color while CBS are the "original" color or wild version, the CRS were an accident. The almost white CRS are the most expensive and very delicate, CBS are much hardier than their CRS counterparts.

8. Ken Ooi

Ken OoiValued MemberMember

It certainly has been proven correct. Lost all my Crystal Red shrimp and one newly purchased Red Crystal shrimp died within 5 minutes right before my eyes when it entered the tank from the bag. The Crystal Black Shrimp I added is still there along with the Tiger and hybrid Tiger Bee shrimp which are all tough as nails. I have put the white flag out in relation to keeping Red Crystal shrimps!

9. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Yup, that's why people repeat and repeat they need certain water parameters to even survive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice