Crystal Red Shrimp Compatibility

1. F

Freshwaterfishkeeper Valued Member Member

I'm wanting to put some CRS in my 27g once it's cycled and was wondering what stocking options I would have with shrimp, I plan on the tank only being quite lightly planted but it has abit of hair grass for shelter. I would like to put in a school of corys, a school of rummynose tetra and potentially a bolivian ram.

Also wanting to make a species tank in my 10g for a type of shrimp maybe the orange ones (have no idea of the name) but I have no idea on food or special requirements for shrimp. I figure in the 27g they will eat leftovers and veggie tabs that I feed the cories.

From what I've read so far they need some sort of moss to hide in and a mineral block? And the babies will most likely get eaten by anything with a bigger mouth than them?

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Yes unless your heavily planted the babies will probably get eaten. Not sure about the ram not eating the adult shrimp, but i think that stock will work.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Would carpeting plants and some java moss be enough to save some of the babies ?

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Imo the ram is more than likely going to snack on any shrimp it finds, adults or babies, rummynose too will take baby shrimp.
    I'd suggest the Crs be in the species only set up, shrimp spend most of their time hiding if there are predators in the tank so with a species tank you'd get much more enjoyment from them :)

5. OP
    OP
    F

I thought that might be the case, for a species only tank what do I feed and do I need anything special for them ?

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My shrimp are in with corys so they eat what the corys do, even stealing bloodworm from them.
    In a species only you can get shrimp food, Hikari do one called Shrimp cuisine, they also like veg so occasional veg like zucchini & if you use frozen food for your fish then some of that too every now & then, they don't need a lot of extra food so be careful not to over feed

7. OP
    OP
    F

I use frozen brine shrimp would they like that or is it wrong to feed shrimp shrimp ? I will get some shrimp food and they can get a fork of zuchinni when my pleco does :)

8. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

What substrate are you using? Crystal red shrimp require a substrate with buffer capabilities

9. OP
    OP
    F

If I put them in the 27g it would be sand but I have no substrate in the 10g yet so what would you suggest ?

10. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

embers tetras or mini rasbora or mini danio species, but if i were you i would not put anything else with crystal shrimp, they make for a far too expensive fish snack to risk in a fish community.

11. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

ADA Amazonia is a highly recommended substrate for CRS