crystal red/black shrimp

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Getting curious about trying some Crystal Red or Crystal black shrimp.

All my tanks are set up SA fish so I have soft acid water which seems to be to their liking?? 6.5 - 7 PH depending on my mix with RO water and tap water.

They seem to like cooler water which is good with me.

Any tips from any of you breeders out there?

Just looking for more info...they have always fascinated me.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if anyone in particular is breeding CRS at the moment, at least if they are, I haven't seen any posts.

I'm planning to start keeping these guys in a few months, but I want to make sure I master RCS first lol (a lot cheaper).

One thing I can tell you that I've noticed in RCS keeping is that these guys are really sensitive to nitrates. I kept some in a standard 10g with just a couple plants and they really didn't do that well, started disappearing, etc. I moved them to a larger tank with ALOT more plants and they are much more active and seem to be thriving.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you kept other dwarf shrimp before? If not, CRS/CBS are not a good choice as a starter shrimp. They are much more fragile than other dwarf shrimp because they've been so inbred to achieve their patterns. You could try RCS or yellows first and once you get the hang of it, you can add crystals because the two won't crossbreed.

Because of the price, I wouldn't keep them with any but the smallest of fish. I kept 3 endlers in my 5g to keep the cycle alive because the shrimp on their own weren't enough, and they never bothered the shrimp. And because of the price, I'd start with low grade crystals. I think they're prettier anyway.

I don't think anyone here is breeding them. I don't even know how many people keep them. I've only ever read posts like yours, Ted, from people who are thinking about keeping them. Even though I collect shrimp, I still don't keep them because of their costs, water parameter pickiness and their fragility. But it might be time to bite the bullet and get some.

-Lisa

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, just feel I must try!!...that usually is disaster for me...but am feeling lucky today..lol

If I try them, I will keep a log of water parameters, temps, Ph etc....maybe we can get something going.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good call Ted. I would definitely put them in a well established tank as well, with plenty of plant life to combat any potential toxin buildup.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't go too low though. Grades B and A are the best to start with. Try getting ones with roughly equal amounts of white and red on them. C grade shrimp are mainly red with transparent spots, S-SSS grades are much more white than red. The more white on a shrimp, the higher grade it is.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Elodia, and all...

Today I started some serious searches....ever notice that most the crystal red or black or white-gold shrimp on aquabid are from Malaysia with NO guaratee!!!

And rumors abound that they mostly ship females or throw in a wild male or 2 and they revert to wild looking!!...what a market, they trying to keep it locked.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure, where are you in Virgina? I used to live in Waynesboro and worked in Charlottesville....had a greenhouse then and kept Orchids (250 types) and fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom