Crystal clear water.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone,

I am interested in knowing how to make my tank water crystal clear. My 20 gallons tank has hazy white water, while my 5.5 gallons tank has water that almost looks like it is crystal clear. Maybe the fact that I am running a 70 gallons filter for the 20 gallons tank and a 20 gallons filter for the 5.5 gallons tank is part of this problem. However, the only difference between these two tanks beside the fish is that the 5.5 gallons with the clear water has marimo moss balls in it. Is that the reason my water is clear in that tank?

Any other suggestions to help make the water quality in the 20 gallons tank better?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rely more on your water parameters to determine water quality than clarity. Having said that... a lot of times biofilm build up on the inside of the glass can make the water appear cloudy. Also using airstones that make micro bubbles can also make the water appear cloudy.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rely more on your water parameters to determine water quality than clarity. Having said that... a lot of times biofilm build up on the inside of the glass can make the water appear cloudy. Also using airstones that make micro bubbles can also make the water appear cloudy.
I have no airstones, but the Marineland 350 B for a 20 gallon tank creates a lot of bubbles and current so that might be it.

Also, bacteria blooms create cloudy water. Most of the time they are natural and beneficial for your fish. Is the tank newly set up?
The tank is up and running for 3 months now. Water has been like this since day 1.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To answer all posts with one. Yes, I am completely cycled. If it would crash I would notice it on the API tests and the bacterial bloom would last for a week then start to clear up. The water has been cloudy since day 1, non-stop. So I agree with the other posts. I guess it is the filter. Either the flow of water is too much (I run a 70-gallon filtration for 20 gallons), the waterfall it makes creates many bubbles, or the filters need rinsing. It could be all of the above. I vacuum the substrate every week when I do 50% a water change. So I doubt it is leftovers from the substrate as the water is unanimously cloudy. Throughout the tank, top to bottom. Maybe I forgot to mention I have ceramic tubes in the filter itself for the bacteria and maybe that is what is giving the white color? But I agree with most, it should be the filter.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It has many factor to made your water cloudy.Can you tell more about your tank contain and activity: plants? Kind of substrate?any decoration in tank beside substrates ,fishes,water filter ,heater ?when you do water change,how to & how much?what has in water filter? Is that carbon filter.?kind of fish food And how fishes consumed the food?Can i see your 20 gals tank set up ?

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It really does sound like a water quality issue -but if you are sure that is not the problem- try scrubbing the water with the polifill used for quilting. If you include a small amount of it in your filter, It really does make your water crystal clear. It clogs quickly and needs changed often, but worth the effort. It's bought cheaply at any sewing shop but be sure it's not got any anti moulding additives in it. I use it and love the result.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the advice, I will play around with the filter next week when I do a water change and let you know my thoughts and if there is an improvement.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advice, I will play around with the filter next week when I do a water change and let you know my thoughts and if there is an improvement.
Even you did not give out so much information of your tank ,BUT I personally dont think your filter make your water tank cloudy.Look like you state that ,this water was cloudy at day 1 until now.Ceramic tub in filter which contain lot good bacteria might ,but not the ceramic itself cause it .Since day 1 you already have what you have now ,not thing change ,including the way you treat the tank.
Try to test your water weekly.If the water parameter is still in safe range for fish,no need to change the water ,let the good bacterias completed the cycle 100% ,and keep on cycle with fish waste if your tank has lots plants ,or clean the fish waste if not Every day.You calculated it.
You will see the water tank different.
If the ammonia,nitrite are out of whack Or going to hurt your fish to die then do 15% water change.Let see in a month if the water is not clear then give me an update.
Dare to play that way?It is still safe way.It does not make any sense to me ,When people keep do water change ,while water is still in safe range for fish ( but might not for shrimp,shirmp is more sensitive to bad water more than fish ) And mess up the water cycle from time to time.
I rather Shake but not stir!

OniEG

Reaction score
Possibility that when you did a water change it could have move the gravel enough to lift the waste that was underneath. Using a gravel vacuum and maybe a 50% water change could help out with the cloudy issue.

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have filter floss in your filter? This is the best at catching the fine particles. Also try covering your filter intake with filter floss. I've found this has great results. Tiny little bugs like daphnia and seed shrimp also help to clean up the water and most fish will eat them so you don't have Eto worry about them growing out of control

juniperlea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am interested in knowing how to make my tank water crystal clear. My 20 gallons tank has hazy white water, while my 5.5 gallons tank has water that almost looks like it is crystal clear. Maybe the fact that I am running a 70 gallons filter for the 20 gallons tank and a 20 gallons filter for the 5.5 gallons tank is part of this problem. However, the only difference between these two tanks beside the fish is that the 5.5 gallons with the clear water has marimo moss balls in it. Is that the reason my water is clear in that tank?

Any other suggestions to help make the water quality in the 20 gallons tank better?
Wow. I thought I was the only one who considered the Marimo moss ball thing. I think they are excellent sponges. I got tired of trying to keep them beautifully round. One day, I just picked one up and used it to clean the inside walls of a tank. It was so much better and required less pressure than the normal blue scrubby things. I then just rinsed the misshapen moss ball and plopped it back in the tank, for the ADFs to hide under.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom