Crystal Clear Water

1. hine62 Initiate Member

This has been driving me crazy, so I'd thought I'd ask. What do you do to get crystal clear water? Currently I'm running a sump and refugium on a 56 gallon tank with some LR rubble and chaeto. My skimmer is broke at the moment. I'm just waiting for the part to come in.

I know some people run floss, carbon, uv, bio balls, and the list goes on.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Using a filter sock on the drain pipe from the display (or another mechanical type of filter) cleaned often and activated carbon.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

+1 Mike.

In addition - good husbandry. Regular water changes (I use ASW with RO/DI) and top off with RO/DI.

For what it's worth, I don't use any carbon/floss, just my skimmer and water changes. My water is crystal clear.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I run a couple underwater pumps to diffus air in the water. I keep clean floss and activated carbon in each of the underground filters and change it often. This is not my media just to be clear. I run them to extra water movement under the water and to also difuse air. IO keep it packed with clean carbon and clean floss. I change them every 30 days. This is only to keep the water crystal clear and get oxygen in the water. I use the filters for my media and do not change those except in dire circumstances.

5. HealthyTanks Initiate Member

+1 on what Mike and ryanr said. But I only use the activated carbon periodically.
    Don

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My tank gets SUPER clear after water changes....if I don't move everything around, when I move everything around it gets cloudy but then goes away within a few min. I only run carbon on occasion. I have a Wet/dry system with the bioballs removed and liverock rubble in its place. The water has to go through 4-5 sponges. Then I run a protien skimmer. The wetdry shoots the water back up through a UV sterilizer before reentering the tank. I also have one power head and tons of live rock.

7. hine62 Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies. I have recently made some changes and achieved crystal clear water. Rather simple actually! Less is better in this case, my tanks just have what is necessary. Sump, refugium with LR rubble, filter sock, and a GOOD skimmer.

Thanks again...