Crystal And Sunkist Shrimp Help

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by KoiGuppyFan, Jun 25, 2018.

1. K

KoiGuppyFan New Member Member

Hi,
    I bought some orange sunkist shrimp and some crystal shrimp and im currently acclimating them. My GH is at 13 and KH is at 7. I have cherry shrimp and they're breeding but is that too high for the new ones?

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Those (Crystals) are tricky shrimp. Your GH and Kh are too high for their ideals(should be KH 0-2 and GH 4-6). My feeling is you will struggle. Could you access some RODI water?

RCS are far less tricky, they prefer hard water but will adapt to the soft water your crystals need better than the other way around.

Edit: Just did some research on orange sunkist shrimp. It appears they need brackish water for reproduction. If you aren't worried about shrimplets, then fine, but if you want to grow your colony, I suspect you will have some difficulty keeping all 3 types in one tank as they have different requirements.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    K

KoiGuppyFan New Member Member

I cannot access RODI water. Thanks for the help

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Sunkist referred to caridina cf. propinqua in the past I believe, but now it's far more common to call a variety of orange cherry shrimp sunkist. I don't think anyone sells the caridina sunkist, so you most likely just have some orange cherry shrimp. They will mix colors with red cherries, but your water is fine for them.

Crystals are a lot harder to get parameters right for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice