Crypts In A Cube - Planted!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Tigg, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Tigg

Tigg Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

Well, it's done! This was tank set-up weekend, and I got my new cube (27 gallon 20 x 18 x 20) substrated, hard-scaped and planted, and in the background of this post I hear the quiet purr of my Aquaclear 70.

Outside a couple'a rhizomes of Anubias on the driftwood(s), the entire tank's planted in Crypts. Here's how it turned out:

IMG_5323.JPG IMG_5324.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5326.JPG

I went with:

Crypt Parva
    Crypt Petchii
    Crypt Ponterderiifloria
    Cryp Spiralis
    Crypt Undulata
    Crypt Usteriana
    & Anubias Coffeefolia

It'll take a while to grow in, fill out and grow up, some faster than others. And, down the road, I'll have another tank to plant and take cuttings from this one, if not outright replanting.

Let me know what you think, as a starting point.

Thanks!

(PS - that background color? This deep, rich dark, dark teal blue which apparently goes really bright when hit with LED's. :confused: )

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Attractive aquarium :)

3. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I love the background color. Yes it is bright, but with bright contrasting fish, it will look sharp :) The brilliance of a marine aquarium. What's your plan for fish?

4. OP
    OP
    Tigg

Thanks Viking! I actually dig it, just not what I had in my head. But then what tank ever turns out just as we picture it, right? ;)

3-4 Honey Gouramis
    11+ Pygmy corys
    3 Bolivian Rams
    Super red bristlenose Pleco

(A tank buddy keeps pushing me to get an angel in too. It'd be a zebra, but I'm not convinced.).

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I think the tank looks great and will look even better when the plants start to fill in.

I wouldn't do an angel in this tank as it would outgrow it fairly quickly, and with your planned stock may be overcrowded.

6. OP
    OP
    Tigg

Thanks Angel. (And yeah, that's what I said! o_O )

I think w/the plants filling in, the stocking plan I have'll work really well w/it. I am all for givin' my fins good water, plants and wood and caves to play in, and lots of room to swim!

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Just make sure the rhizome of the anubias coffeefolia isn't planted or it will rot (hard to tell in the angle of the picture).
    Love the background color!

8. OP
    OP
    Tigg

Not to worry - there's a deep dimple / pocket on the far left side of that curvy driftwood and the anubias rhizome's tucked in there, w/string holding that piece in place. :)

The other two Anubias pieces - one's sunk in the opening at the top of curvy, and the other's dug down into the crack / crevice on the lower neck of the big driftwood.

Thanks on the background color. For $6.99 you can have this too :

Sherwin Williams - SW 9060 - 'Connor's Lakefront'

IMG_5331.JPG

Available in the convenient tester quart, though only available in satin at that size. :smug:

(And don't freak - it's this really deep, rich teal color, but when you hit it w/LED's, totally changes to this brilliant blue.

Also, be sure and sponge it on first, let that dry and then start rolling coats. Check your edges and rims - because of the finish, it'll tend not to adhere to start.)

9. OP
    OP
    Tigg

Hey Viking,

Just an fyi, here's the info on that background color:

Sherwin Williams - SW 9060 - 'Connor's Lakefront'

View attachment 296107

Available for $6.99 in the convenient tester quart, though only available in satin at that size.

(And don't freak - it's this really deep, rich teal color, but when you hit it w/LED's, totally changes to this brilliant blue.

Also, be sure and sponge it on first, let that dry and then start rolling coats. Check your edges and rims - because of the finish, it'll tend not to adhere to start.)

10. OP
    OP
    Tigg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice