Cryptocoryne

VietnamMinh

Hello everyone, I would like to ask a question:
Yesterday, I bought a cryptocoryne which is grown emersed. So I cut all the leaves of the plant and plant the remaining base and roots in the sand. Is that a right thing to do?
Thank you.

Basil

I’ve never cut any leaves off crypts unless they were damaged. And I have no idea if the ones I’ve purchased were emersed or submerged.
I trim a bit of roots if very long and plant. I do use root tabs for the inert sand and I’ve never experienced any initial crypt melt.
Just remember to not bury the crown. It prefers to be slightly above the substrate.
What kind of crypt did you get!

Upvote 0

VietnamMinh

I’ve never cut any leaves off crypts unless they were damaged. And I have no idea if the ones I’ve purchased were emersed or submerged.
I trim a bit of roots if very long and plant. I do use root tabs for the inert sand and I’ve never experienced any initial crypt melt.
Just remember to not bury the crown. It prefers to be slightly above the substrate.
What kind of crypt did you get!
Cryptocoryne wendtii.

Upvote 0

Basil

Cryptocoryne wendtii.
I have wendtii red. They grow well. I wouldn’t cut the leaves off.

Upvote 0

VietnamMinh

I have wendi red. They grow well. I wouldn’t cut the leaves off.
Well, I've planted a few crypts before, and my newly bought crypts always melt when submerged. So I can confidently say that all the crypts I have brought were grown emersed. But after some time, I saw some new growth on a broken fragment of the roots and it was different from the emersed leaves. So i think if I cut the emersed leaves away, it may help the plant to grow submerged leaves faster.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Well, I've planted a few crypts before, and my newly bought crypts always melt when submerged. So I can confidently say that all the crypts I have brought were grown emersed. But after some time, I saw some new growth on a broken fragment of the roots and it was different from the emersed leaves. So i think if I cut the emersed leaves away, it may help the plant to grow submerged leaves faster.

You can do what you want, but I wouldn't. I'd remove them as they turn yellow, but not before.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Hello everyone, I would like to ask a question:
Yesterday, I bought a cryptocoryne which is grown emersed. So I cut all the leaves of the plant and plant the remaining base and roots in the sand. Is that a right thing to do?
Thank you.
I think trimming off all the leaves of your C. wendtii before planting is a perfectly fine option. I've seen professional aquascapers do the same thing.

Case in point: How to avoid Cryptocoryne melting after planting - YouTube .

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom