Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Cryptocoryne

1. wrs2

wrs2 Valued Member Member

I bought some of this tonight.
    I didn't realize it needed special substrate to grow very good and it is in a tank with just sand and they are so pretty and the guy at the LFS said low light and easy to grow (which I also saw on many youtube channels / online) ...
    I have 2 quick question....
    1) Should I just use root tabs then to help supplement as the substrate is only sand and not nutrient rich.
    2) I have a small dirted tank, if I got more, that would be a fine substrate right? Dirted tank capped with a sand / grave mix.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Crypts don’t need any special substrate. They can grow fine in regular sand or gravel, but you can definitely add some root tabs around them.

A dirted tank would be good to have crypts in.

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

wrs2 Valued Member Member

I read / saw on two websites youtube channels that they did! Those liars!! lol
    Thank you!

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Yeah no they don’t, I grow mine in regular gravel and they’re growing new leaves every week. Other Sp. of crypts might need higher light but those are the more expensive ones.

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Amazingly have to agree with the lfs here (and @bryangar)
    Crypts do will in most any light, any substrate. If not using an aquasoil or dirted, they need root tabs.
    Be aware that crypts can often “melt” (die off) when introduced to new environments, this is relatively normal. Provided with root tabs in your substrate they should rebound rather quickly

Advertising