Cryptocoryne Tips

JLAquatics
Greetings. I just recieved three different crypts (Wendtii Red, Wendtii Green, Lucens) and recently planted them to fill in my 29 gallon aquascape. I was just wondering if anyone has had any good experience with Cryptocoryne plants and has had success with them. I think they would really bring my aquascape together, but I just don't know how well they will do. The S Repens is growing in sand great without tabs. Any tips would be much appreciated! I have included a picture of my tank as well as the new crypts for a better visual.

0302211454.jpg
0302211453.jpg
0302211454a.jpg

Attachments

• 0302211456.jpg
    0302211456.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 0302211454.jpg
    0302211454.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 0302211453.jpg
    0302211453.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 0302211454a.jpg
    0302211454a.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 33
Advertisement
Demeter
Crypts are probably the easiest plants to grow, just put them where you want and let them go. They are root feeders so root tabs are great for them. They reproduce by sending up runners but sometimes they grow clumped together which can lead to melting so keep an eye on that.

Higher lighting will result in lower and more compact growth. Low lighting creates leggy stems and tall growth. If grown in fine sand their roots can suffocate, leading to random melting. Other than that they are very simple plants.

JLAquatics
Thanks for responding. I'm assuming if the S Repens can grow in coarse sand then the Crypts should have no problem doing the same?

FreshwaterCole
Plant and do not transplant, as ime with Cryptocoryne is they do not like being moved.
Great looking plants!

John58ford
I grow crypt wendtii tropica "red" in all my tanks. It grows pretty well in course sand as well as fine gravel and river rock. It doesn't mind being transplanted from the rock, but from sand it can pop some roots moving it.

They propagate in 2 slightly different ways, one is runner-like where a small baby plant will pop up a few inches away, and the other is division atv the rosette/root ball. When they divide, typically at the surface the visual indicator is that there will be doubled up leaves back-to-back growing up in the middle. You can dig up a divided plant, wiggle the roots and get them to come apart and replant. Nothing wrong with just letting them go naturally but I like to divide and move them further apart as my tanks are nutrient limited and the space can be helpful. You might end up with dwarf plants if the roots run under rocks or other objects that stop the nutrients from filtering down into the sand but they still tend to do fine, just smaller.

Mudminnow
I love crypts...probably my favorite aquarium plants. I agree with what others have said, and I just wanted to add one thing. Sometimes crypts melt. They seem to do this when conditions change. So, if yours melt on you, don't worry too much. They usually come back with new leaves suited to the new conditions.

bumblinBee
Crypts were the first aquatic plants I ever had, and they're my favourite plant in any of my aquariums. I managed to grow crypts in pool sand with a basic LED that came with a starter tank, which is fairly impressive. They're hardy, they can grow well in bad conditions, and can THRIVE in favourable ones. They grow quick enough that you'll be able to see actual visible progress without needing to compare photos between this month and the last lol. Fertilizer is usually not required for crypts, but they'd do well with a nutritious substrate or some decent root tabs. As others have mentioned, they can experience melt, but I actually didn't have this happen to me until I had them in my 5g. When I moved some from my main tank to my 5g, they all melted away and I was shocked. I'd heard of crypt melt, but it had never ever happened to me before, and I move the crypts around in my main tank every 6 months with no issues, so it quite shocked me. If it happens, don't panic, just let them melt, and wait, they'll come back like new

Nessaf
Agree, don’t panic if you get some melting. A friend gave me some of her crypts about a month ago (don’t know what kind) and they melted a bit at first. Now I have little crypts coming up all over the place from their roots. Mine are growing in gravel.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
John58ford
  • Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies