Crypt spiralis or Val spiralis

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by BMcK, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BMcK

BMcK Valued Member Member

[​IMG]
    I bought this plant awhile ago, but can't tell which it is. I thought it was corkscrew Val, but it doesn't seem affected at all by glut, which i thought vals melted with liquid co2?
    I can't find any pics of either plant in its early days.

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say Crypt. Btw : corkscrew vallis isn't V.spiralis !!!!

3. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Thats definitely Crypt Spiralis. Once it gets taller and established, youll really start to see it spiral, I have some on my 55g and it presents a very unique look.

4. OP
    OP
    BMcK

Thank you.

Ahh, good to know. I must have been misinformed, thanks for the clarification :)

5. DoubleDutch

The "spiralis" has something to do with the flower of this plant and not about spiraling leaves hahahha. So spiralis has straight leaves !!!! Someone liked to confuse everyone hahahaha.
    Think it's the same qith the Crypt btw, cause I can't find any pics of spiraling leaves. But O can be wrong about that !!!

6. OP
    OP
    BMcK

Since its only in its current location because I thought it was a val, I would like to move it to be a more focal plant, but I know crypts are prone to melting.....would it be too detrimental to move it? Or should I let it be?

7. DoubleDutch

Is it in the back ?? If so I'd leave it, cause I think it can get rather busy !!! No experience with this one. Only with the smaller ones

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    BMcK

It is in the back. I'm just wondering if it will get overshadowed by the wisteria that it's next to.

9. DoubleDutch

Could be. Replacing it wont't directly start it melting. I am swapping my crypts very often.
    Melting crypts is a known problem, but to my believe by an unknown cause.
    If you've a better place I'd replace it.

10. Bluestreakfl

I think the spiraling also has to do with the way the leaves flow in the water, not so much like corkscrews, but the leaves wave and curl around, whereas with other normal varieties of crypts the leaves are rather straight in their direction. Here is an older picture of mine, it's slightly right of the big piece of driftwood.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438445008.756265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    BMcK

That would make sense. Nice tank btw :). What kind of lilies are those in there?

12. Bluestreakfl

Thanks! They're actually banana plants, although lilies is on my list of things to try one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    BMcK

I'll have to try a couple of those:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice