Crypt Spiralis Leaves Melting, H. Corymbosa Not Great Either

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
This has been an issue for weeks. Every weekly water change I'm pulling out dead or dying leaves and it's really starting to thin out my crypts. I have Controsoil substrate, root tabs, and dose Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green once or twice a week. I am heavily planted and using a Finnex Stingray (29 gallon tank). I even dose enough Easy Green for 40 gallons.

Before switching to Easy Green, I dry dosed macros and trace each week. It is only one leaf at a time, not the entire plant. Is it possibly a macro-nutrient deficiency, and if that's the case should I just start dry dosing again? I read that plants will pull nutrients from old growth to fuel new growth if they are experiencing a deficiency.

My Hygrophila corymbosa isn't melting but some of the new growth has bright yellowish green leaves with dark green veining.

Any help is appreciated. I believe switching back to dry ferts is the answer but wanted another opinion.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you get a picture of your plants? The leaf color would tell us if you have a specific defiecincy.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
Could you get a picture of your plants? The leaf color would tell us if you have a specific defiecincy.
Unfortunately I am at work and won't be home for another 11 hours. The symptoms I am seeing on my crypts are pale, yellowing leaves that begin to melt at the tips or somewhere along the middle of the leaf. The veins of the leaves often remain visible while the rest fades to yellow. Sometimes the leaves will be so pale they appear almost white, and the are easily detached from the rhizome.

Everyone has to remove a dead leaf now and again, but this has been happening for weeks.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
White leaves are a sign of a co2 deficiency. The lighter leaves could possibly signify a deficiency in pottasium or magnesium.
The tank has no CO2 and I can't dose Excel because I have vals and anacharis. But honestly I don't believe it is CO2. I've not known crypts to be CO2 hungry and the tank gets plenty of gas exchange from the filter. Plus it is only one leaf at a time.

Potassium was one thing I was considering because I used to dose Mono-potassium phosphate and Potassium sulfate and don't remember seeing this much die off.

So, would you concur that it is most likely a Potassium deficiency, and that switching back to a dry fertilizer regiment will fix it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom