Crypt Parva potted plant

1. sliderdkp Member Member

I received my crypt parva plant in great condition from Peabody"s. How to plant it? In or out of the basket?:;juggle

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

You could do either. some like keeping them in the basket, others like planting in the substrate for a more natural tank look. jetajockey, I'm sure will see this, so let him advise you as that is where the plant came from, and will be able to give you the best advice relevant to that plant.

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

It should be removed from the pot. They can grow in the pots, but if you leave them in there they won't spread as easily as they would if they were out of the pot.

As far as removing them from the rockwool-

-Get a container full of room temperature water
    -Gently squeeze the pot (to compact the rockwool a little bit) and slide the plants/rockwool out of the pot.
    -Put the plants and rockwool in water, and then gently separate the plants from the rockwool.

You don't have to remove 100% of the rockwool, but it does help to get as much as you can since it's bulky and may be a little harder to plant with pieces attached to the roots.

At this point you can plant it as one big clump, or carefully separate the plants from one another and plant them in small groups or individually. If you intend for them to fill in an area, then it's not a bad idea to space them out a little bit and let them fill in over time. Crypt parva is a pretty no-fuss plant, but one of the tradeoffs is that it doesn't grow super fast either. Because of that, it may take a while to fill in.