Crying And Overwhelmed

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
Some of you know I have been fighting Midge flies and bloodworms in my 3 tanks. One has baby goldfish fry in it. I lost the cycle on that one because the filter media was so full of bloodworms that I had to cut it apart and just put a part back in. So I’m doing fish in cycling with fry. Great! My 29G and my 55G also had them in the filter but didn’t lose the cycle yet. Tonight I was vacuuming and found bloodworms all in the gravel of the 29G tank. The 55G only had a couple. It looks like I may have to break down my tanks, clean them all out and start cycling them again. I put Misquito Dunks in the adult tanks to see if they can stop the cycle. I also put one in my outside pond which is on my patio. I am so upset and beside myself. Any ideas? To top my t all off, now my black moor has what I believe to be pop eye. How do I treat that?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
8,160
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
((((((Goldiemom))))))) I am so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I know it has to be heartbreaking

This may be a stupid farfetched suggestion but is there a way you could adopt a fish that would eat the bloodworms and once the problem is under control you could return it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
((((((Goldiemom))))))) I am so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I know it has to be heartbreaking

This may be a stupid farfetched suggestion but is there a way you could adopt a fish that would eat the bloodworms and once the problem is under control you could return it.
What type of fish? My goldfish it them but evidently the tropical don’t. That’s the one that has them in the media.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,477
Points
448
Experience
4 years
I'm so sorry you're going through this, it must be so frustrating. You can make it through this.
Also, this likely won't help much, but my mystery snail cleaned up a fly larvae infestation pretty well, but these were floating at the top of the water so the filter flow pushed them to the sides where he could get at them. They are meat eaters though, and can live fine in coldwater aquariums, so maybe worth a shot? I wish you the best, and good luck
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
6,106
Points
758
Experience
3 years
Don’t worry, everything will work out fine in it’s own time, but I am very sorry that all this has happened.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m thinking about removing all the gravel and just having a bare bottom for a while. I know a lot of bacteria is in their but I’m risking losing the cycle anyway. They must be burying down because my pleco would be at them otherwise.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
6,106
Points
758
Experience
3 years
Goldiemom said:
I’m thinking about removing all the gravel and just having a bare bottom for a while. I know a lot of bacteria is in their but I’m risking losing the cycle anyway. They must be burying down because my pleco would be at them otherwise.
Sometimes, Bare Bottom is the way to go in goldfish tanks, it’s easier to clean the tank when it gets dirty.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
8,160
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
What type of fish? My goldfish it them but evidently the tropical don’t. That’s the one that has them in the media.
I can't name a specific fish but all of mine love their freeze dried bloodworms so I just assumed most fish would eat the live ones.

What kind of fish do you have in your tropical tank?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
8,160
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
Guppies, neon tetras, platy’s and a bn pleco.
I was hoping you would say Mollies. I think they would eat them. Mine are little pigs and go after every thing I put in front of them. I have never had guppies or Platy's so don't know about them but do have neons and they love freeze dried blood worms so I would think they would eat the live ones if they see them. Mine don't usually eat off the bottom though so yours probably won't be much help at cleaning them out of your gravel.
 

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,658
Reaction score
2,015
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think all your fish would eat the bloodworms i wonder why theyre not.

Id do a big filter and gravel clean to remove as much of their food source as you can
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
I do a gravel clean tonight and cleaned the filters a couple of days ago. Gonna vac again tomorrow night. The bad thing is that I have no extra media to seed the tanks if I lose my cycle. They were full of bloodworms so I had to remove them all.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,350
Reaction score
8,160
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
It's too bad you didn't have some assassin snails before you took out that media. You could put them in your filter housings and I have a feeling they could have taken care of the problem for you. They are some handy snails to have around. Now that mine have cleaned out the pest snails, blood worms are one of their second favorite foods.

Before you take all the media out of your other tanks and lose the cycle is there any where close for you to get some?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
It's too bad you didn't have some assassin snails before you took out that media. You could put them in your filter housings and I have a feeling they could have taken care of the problem for you. They are some handy snails to have around. Now that mine have cleaned out the pest snails, blood worms are one of their second favorite foods.

Before you take all the media out of your other tanks and lose the cycle is there any where close for you to get some?
I can check my Lfs. Would Petco or Petsmart sale them as a last resort? Would it get along with my pleco?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom