Crusty White Eye...pop Eye?

blackrabbit79
My betta's eye has looked like this on/off (I would say that his eye changed like this about 4 times already). I am currently doing daily water changes (50%) in my 5.5gal tank and treating him with Seachem Paraguard because he has fin rot (due to ammonia in tank which is now at .25ppm--I realize that ppm is still high but after doing daily water changes for 2 weeks straight, ammonia hasn't gone down).

ANYWAY, what could be wrong with his eye? I hope it's not a tumor. The paraguard hasn't seemed to help yet. I have been dosing with the paraguard for 6 days so far. Attached is a photo of his crusty-looking white eye. Poor guy.

Attachments

• betta eye.jpg
    betta eye.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 149

Advertisement
blewishblue
Your Betta has popeye. Please do a 100% water change each day and dose the water with about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt. You can buy a small package at Walmart or any big box pet store. It's super cheap. And please consider purchasing some Seachems Prime immediately to keep on hand whenever you detect ammonia in your betta's water. Certainly use it until your tank/filter media is fully cycled. It takes a very small amount dosed every 24 hours to render the ammonia and nitrites harmless. Your Betta will likely lose his eye. Certainly his eyesight.

Advertisement
Fawkes21
Looks like pop eye. Get some prime to detoxify your ammonia and some kanaplex and furan-2 to treat it if you can get some

Ive had success with those meds to treat pop eye

blackrabbit79
Your Betta has popeye. Please do a 100% water change each day and dose the water with about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt. You can buy a small package at Walmart or any big box pet store. It's super cheap. And please consider purchasing some Seachems Prime immediately to keep on hand whenever you detect ammonia in your betta's water. Certainly use it until your tank/filter media is fully cycled. It takes a very small amount dosed every 24 hours to render the ammonia and nitrites harmless. Your Betta will likely lose his eye. Certainly his eyesight.

Last night I did a 50% water change and dosed with Seachem Prime [and Paraguard for his fin rot]. This morning I put 1/2 TBS of aquarium salt dissolved into his tank. Is this painful for him? I feel SO sorry for him. It looks as if he will lose his eye. What is the next step?

FrostedFlakes
Kanaplex and furan 2 I also recommend for Popeye. I've successfully rid of pop eye through those. I also decreased the swelling with Epsom salt baths, but if he is week these may be stressful. Paraguard won't work on Popeye because Popeye is an internal issue which paraguard treats external. Popeye is usually one of three things: physical injury, poor water conditions, or bacterial infection. Keep up with the frequent water changes and possibly medicate. Can we see a better picture, though? I can see issues with the eye but I want to be sure it's popeye.

Ps. Popeye is the buildup of fluid behind the eyes thus it being deemed internal.

blackrabbit79
Kanaplex and furan 2 I also recommend for Popeye. I've successfully rid of pop eye through those. I also decreased the swelling with Epsom salt baths, but if he is week these may be stressful. Paraguard won't work on Popeye because Popeye is an internal issue which paraguard treats external. Popeye is usually one of three things: physical injury, poor water conditions, or bacterial infection. Keep up with the frequent water changes and possibly medicate. Can we see a better picture, though? I can see issues with the eye but I want to be sure it's popeye.

Ps. Popeye is the buildup of fluid behind the eyes thus it being deemed internal.
Heres the photo. Its bad and it got bad quick. A few days ago it looked almost normal (even tho I knew he had something going on). Can I use paraguard with kanaplex and aquarium salt? Or is that too much stuff ? He has fin rot so ive been treating that with Paraguard too
358DD8FE-0973-436C-8A2A-379026A1767A.jpeg
EC2E3098-AE21-430C-B001-37488FC75D23.jpeg

Advertisement
FrostedFlakes
Ouch that doesn't look too hot. It doesn't look like popeye to me. Perhaps others with more betta knowledge could give some insight? Fanatic

blackrabbit79
Ouch that doesn't look too hot. It doesn't look like popeye to me. Perhaps others with more betta knowledge could give some insight? Fanatic
Oh no...I’m so sad for him and wish I was a better betta mom

FrostedFlakes
It's ok! We all make mistakes! And sometimes no matter how hard we try we can't avoid things like this. I really don't know what it could be, so hopefully someone can chime in. But perhaps this info can help them: when did this first appear? Has he been exhibiting any other odd behavior? Is the tank cycled? How often did you change the water before this? Is there anything in the tank he could have damaged his eye on?

OdessaDad
Somehow that looks like something other than popeye. There are some herbal solutions in the LAS that are meant to deal with bacterial infections associated with popeye and fin rot. My rosey barb had popeye (with no damage to the eye other being distended) and recuperated within a day after being isolated and repeatedly dosed with the med.

One has to inspect little fish daily and jump immediately upon any issues to have much hope of restoring them. I've been keeping fish for 40 years and have learned a lot the hard way.

Fanatic
You said it looks crusty, not fluffy?
It doesn’t look like popeye to me, because regular popeye would look like a puffy eye, where this looks like something growing out of the eye socket. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I keep bettas and know how their care goes, I have never had popeye in any betta, and do not know in depth how to treat it.

blackrabbit79
Somehow that looks like something other than popeye. There are some herbal solutions in the LAS that are meant to deal with bacterial infections associated with popeye and fin rot. My rosey barb had popeye (with no damage to the eye other being distended) and recuperated within a day after being isolated and repeatedly dosed with the med.

One has to inspect little fish daily and jump immediately upon any issues to have much hope of restoring them. I've been keeping fish for 40 years and have learned a lot the hard way.
yeah it's pretty bad. he's been inactive today, just switching locations in tank and not really swimming around. I am going to try API Fin and Body Cure as my last resort. Then I may have to resort some clove oil. Unless you have some other suggestions. I just think it looks painful and feel very bad for the state of his eye.

FrostedFlakes
I would still try kana and furan in case it's bacterial or fungal, which it kinda looks it could be.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
0morrokh
Replies
Views
chickadee
Replies
Views
Durbkat
Replies
Views