Crushed Coral??? Question

Discussion in 'pH' started by Khory4611, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Khory4611

Khory4611New MemberMember

I would like to use crushed coral to raise my ph. It is currently around 6.0 even though the tap is 7.4. The tank is cycled and all other parameters are as they should be. I have some questions though.

How much crushed coral would I need for a 46gal tank?

Should I add it to the gravel or keep it in a stocking for later removal?

Can I keep coral in the tank to act as a buffer of sorts to prevent ph drop?

Where can I buy crushed coral if I can't find it at the store?

2. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

I use crushed coral for my 43g. I used about 15kg. Put the gravel in a stocking.

3. OP
    OP
    Khory4611

15 kg?? Seems like a lot in a stocking?

4. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

I didn't put it in a stocking

You should put the gravel in a stocking and put the crushed coral in, after you wash it first.

5. OP
    OP
    Khory4611

Ah, so basically replace my substrate with coral? And keep the gravel for a while for the bacteria?

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

pH can be very tricky. I don't know that you would need to completely replace all of your substrate and replace it with crushed coral. Personally I would recommend just adding some in a nylon, NEVER SEEN SOAP, new stocking, and placing it in your tank or in your filter if you have the room.

pH will naturally drop over time. A lot of times pH levels can be maintained simply with frequent water changes.

Here is a link on pH that you may find helpful if you haven't already seen it:
    Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    Khory4611

Good info. I'll try testing the tap after it sits a day or two. I do frequent water changes so I suspect it will be low after sitting compared to straight from the tap.

Do I need to add coral slowly? Will a sockfull cause a drastic swing in ph?

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Khory,

I've never had to use anything to alter my pH levels. From what I've read, I don't think the change will be immediate but will happen over time.

To get your true pH, let the water set out as you've mentioned. Add an air stone to the bucket or whatever you have the water in. The circulation will help to get the true pH after 24 to 48 hours.

Ken

9. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I've raised my PH in all of my tanks.

I wouldn't advise replacing all of the substrate with crushed coral. I may have used two or three cups (total each) to raise the PH in my 75g & 90g tanks from 6.0 to 7.6.

10. OP
    OP
    Khory4611

That's the route I'm going with this. I picked up some coral and put a half cup in a stocking in the tank. Maybe another cup worth? Or wait?

I don't think I will ever get over the look the cashier at Walmart gave me when I was buying womens stockings

11. caymansarah

caymansarahValued MemberMember

Ha ha! I can just picture it!

I am going to hijack your thread a bit - can the ph raising qualities of crushed coral "run out" does it need to be changed after a while? Mine balanced my ph for a while but it has fallen dangerously low again and I am not sure what to do next.

12. OP
    OP
    Khory4611

Good question. I'd like to know too