Crushed coral

dmk164

As advised to make my water harder for my mbunas I added crushed coral in my fx4. Then I seen a post about putting it in where the water will flow fast through it. I put it in the bottom basket in two filter bags on top of that egg rate foam on the bottom the problem is I used about 5 lbs and packet it in as hard as I could. My outflow still feels strong but I wouldn’t know if it has been reduced. Should I cut the amount of crushed coral in half or am I okay? I don’t know if it’s flowing just fine or if the water can go around that basket. Ps I couldn’t find anything online about how the water flows inside the fx’s thanks

Heron

Every time we change things with filters it can have a load of possible outcomes, the best thing is to just keep a close eye on the tank afterwards and if the tank remains healthy it's probably ok. With crushed coral although it is most effective in the filter you will get some effect if it's anywhere in the water, I have a small tank with a built in filter that didn't have space so I put it in a media bag in the bottom of the tank hidden inside an ornament and it keeps the buffering good. You could remove some coral, you don't need that much or you could place the coral you remove elsewhere in the system.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Oriongal
Replies
Views
Dondomingo
  • Question