crushed coral substrate

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i picked up a 20 pound bag of crushed coral stuff in a 29 gallon long for cichlids. what type of cichlids would like this substrate and pH? i dont know what ph it is because i dont have a test kit yet i am going to order one of of ebay though.

EDIT: does his look ok ?

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The API Master Kit is good & is what most of us use for testing.

African rift lake cichlids like the hard water & high PH level but a 29gal tank isn't large enough for most of them. You would need to be very carefull about fish selection & you might find yourself restricted to a single species tank.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
could you reccomend a type of cichlid nutter(a specific species)?

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Those kits can test up to 800 times and you need to know how many tests are left if its used. If it new that's a good price and I would pick it up. Petsmart has it retailed about 35 bucks so depending on shipping costs you can decide where its worth it or going to the store and getting one. I don't know what the ph on crushed coal is but you should get the api master kit verse the test strips they are not as accurate.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A tank full of Fairy Cichlids (Neolamprologus Brichardi) would probably be my choice. Perhaps you might be able to have a Black & White Julie (Julidochromis Transcriptus) or Brown Julie (Julidochromis Dickfeldi) in there with them. A group of Two-Banded Cichlids (Telmatochromis Bifrenatus) woould be ok rather than the Fairy Cichlids. But that's if you could find them. There are several species of Shell Dweller that would work really well in a 30gal species tank.

You should wait until you know what the PH of the tank is going to be before you choose any fish. You don't want to decide on a fish only to find that your water is really soft & acidic & that the crushed coral only brings the PH up to 7.2 or something like that.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just about any Malawi Lake cichlids from Sth Africa will do well in high pH environments. mbunas, afras, yellows etc.

As for 30G, I would look at the Butterfly Cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi), Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus),

Is there a particular reason you want a higher pH tank? Many of the apisto's and cichlids (especially smaller ones) will do fine in the traditional 6.8 - 7.4 ranges

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Josh,

I just saw your other posting regarding this very same topic.
Unlike other forums, fishlore is very active, and the members will pretty much always see your posting, so no need to double up on posts

tip: An effectively titled (subject) will always get good results

I also see that you are now looking for Fairy Cichlids (WTB post), which I like too Does that mean your species selection is now done ???

[mods]please merge this thread, with Josh's previous thread https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-substrates-gravel-sand/70498-crushed-coral-substrate.html

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mbuna should really be housed in a minimum of a 4 foot tank IMO (55 gallons or larger).

A 30 would make a nice species tank for some of the smaller Tanganyikan cichlids, like neolamprologus brichardi or leleupi, or shell dwellers like lamprologus ocellatus, multifasciatus, brevis, etc.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I already posted my suggestions in the other thread on this subject. I just want to say that I agree with harpua, mbuna really belong in at least a 55gal.

Not sure that N. Leleupi would be suited to a 30gal. Mine are about 7"now. Granted that is bigger than the usual 6" they get to. I don't think I'd want to try them in a 30 personally but it might work given that they move around a lot less & alot slower than mbuna.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone, sorry if I was misinterpreted.

I wasn't suggesting to put mbunas in a 30G, I was trying to give the OP and idea of which cichlids prefer the higher pH. I agree with all that a 55+ would be better for mbunas.

That's kinda why my second sentence was specifically about 30G species that might be suitable.

Sorry for the confusion

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've merged your duplicate threads. Please only create 1 thread per topic.
Thanks!
Ken

(Thanks Ryanr)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom