Crushed Coral For Buffering

1. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

How low is your pH? And putting it in your sump is fine; you might want to put it in a mesh bag if you won't have a special compartment dedicated for it in your sump (plus it makes replacing it a lot easier as well :))

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Because you already have fish in there, I would recommend you add the coral to your sump in small amounts, testing your KH and pH regularly, until you get the desired KH. Increasing your KH will also increase your pH, so for the sake of your fish, you will want it to raise gradually to prevent any possible shock.

4. OP
    OP
    C

It's around 7.6

5. KinsKicks

That ph isn't bad; there's no reason for you to change it; it's a pretty stable oh that yourfish will be fine in. Plus, if you're adding crushed coral, you'd only be raising your ph. Is there a specific reason why you want to change it (other than to raise it just to raise it)?

6. OP
    OP
    C

I'm thinking about some congo ciclids:
    Pike
    Lionhead

Also Brichard's synodontus

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

With the fish you already have in there, or will you remove your current ones?

Agreed with the above, fine to add to your sump increase pH and GH.

8. OP
    OP
    C

Getting rid of most of the kribs Monday but I wanna keep the puffer

9. OP
    OP
    C

Oh yeah there's a SAP in there

10. TexasDomer

I wouldn't. Expect aggression between the puffer and the cichlids. Are you keeping the cories as well?

Not sure I'd mix all of those cichlids together.

11. OP
    OP
    C

Two fish enter. One fish leaves!

12. TexasDomer

I hope that's a joke

13. OP
    OP
    C

Even a breeding pair of kribs really? It's a 90 gallon invert tank with strong current. I've seen GSP with rift lakes and they were cool.

14. OP
    OP
    C

If I got all babies too? I should just make 2 tanks and get a real school of puffs

15. TexasDomer

GSPs really should be in brackish water for long term health. You can't really compare SAPs to GSPs. Many puffers are aggressive to other fish, and the ones that aren't may easily be bullied by aggressive fish. And you're talking about keeping them with pikes and buffalo heads and kribs.

Puffers don't really school, and many don't do well with conspecifics in tanks. SAPs are one of the exceptions though, and a 90 gal with SAPs would be cool!

Invert tank? I thought you had kribs and cories? What inverts do you have and how are they still alive with the fish you have in there?

16. OP
    OP
    C

It's a style of tank like a breeder. It's rimless with a large footprint. It's for growing frags but I put a pvc manifold in there to create one directional flow. There's 7 panda cories in there, a mess of kribs, and a hillstream loach. Oh, and the SAP. The filtration is waaay overboard like almost five gallons worth of bioballs in a wet/dry. Water is crystal clear

17. TexasDomer

Ah, I was thinking you meant you stocked inverts in the tank. I've never heard of a frag tank called that.

18. Zahc

I just want to say, a specific pH isn't just going to be stable because it's at a certain level. You need to know the OP's KH to know wether or not it's a stable, well buffered pH or not.

19. KinsKicks

Thank you :). Sorta jumped the gun on the whole stable thing and was just gauging the ph based on what he was saying. I'll watch myself the next time

20. Zahc

No worries! A lot of the time people do, because generally alkaline water does predict hard, well buffered water, but it's not always the case. My pH is the same as the OP's, yet my KH is only around 2dKH (35ppm).