Crushed Coral experience

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by melfrany, Apr 4, 2010.

1. m

melfrany New Member Member

Hello everyone,

I just want to let you all know that because I had problems with the PH of my water, I've decided to change my regular substrate to a crushed coral substrate. Although I've researched a lot about doing this, I couldn't find anything that would tell me not to do it. Also asked for advice on this site, about what to do with the unstable PH, which seem to have an effect on my fish and I was advised to buy crushed coral.
    The end result...The PH became so high that it killed my biological filter...my fish all died...
    I know those things happens, but I just want to let you all know of my experience, so then you will have a better chance than I did...

The good news is that because my aquarium was already cycled, it only took me 10 days for it to come back to my normal 0.0 amonia and nitrite.

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I used crushed coral in most of my tanks because the actual PH of my water is 6.0

If you only add a little bit, you can control the PH level instead of switching the entire substrate to crushed coral. I'm going to guess, but around 1/2 cup seems to do the trick for my 20g and 29g's.

I hope this helps you.

3. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

Awesome advice.....I do the same thing ...... I just put some in new knee high stocking and put it somewhere in the tank or in a filter.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no im sorry for the losses :(
    I have over 100lbs of crushed coral in my 75g tank....my ph is 7 out of the tap and still only 7.8 now.....im not sure if the coral killed your fish though.....it works VERY slowly over time and doesnt happen instantly....IMO , something else might have been the cause but it wasnt the coral.....how much did you add? and how much time was in between adding the coral and your fish deaths?

5. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

Never use CC as substrate.
    Use CC very sparingly.
    I added about 3 pinches of it to my 10 gallon, PH shot to 6.8 from 6 or below in 3 days.
    I also change the CC every other week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice