Crs Bkk And Cbs

1. YoBoiBlaze Well Known Member Member

I had a guy sell me some CRS BKK and CBS shrimp this last week cuz I'm getting into the shrimp Hobby and after more research I found out that they need a pH of 6 to 6.8. my water I use 3:1 reverse osmosis to tap water and that brings it to a pH of 7.4 and a KH of 6 is there anything I can do to lower the pH for them?

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It's not just the pH you need to watch. It's TDS, gH, kH, etc.

If your water is so hard that 3:1 in favor of RO only gets you to 7.4, it's a fair bet your water has high TDS and hardness factors too. You might switch to straight RO and remineralize to your liking for the shrimp.

3. YoBoiBlaze Well Known Member Member

My tap TDS is 500 ppm and KH is 17-18. What is the best remineralizer?

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

kH is 17? Holy....

I use seachem Acid, alkaline, and equilibrium to remineralize my water when I use straight RO.

5. Aqua Hands Member Member

do you live in the dead sea?

6. YoBoiBlaze Well Known Member Member

No I live in the middle of a feild

7. Culprit Well Known Member Member

I would use pure reminerilized RO/DI water. Tap of 500 TDS and 17 KH is crazy. Wayyyy to high. Whats your GH?

8. YoBoiBlaze Well Known Member Member

I'm trying to find a gh test kit. So I'm not sure but I can tell you it's high we have to use a water softener or the faucets get clouged with build up of stuff

9. Aqua Hands Member Member

im also probaly going to do the same with 100% Distilled the reminerilized water because my shrimp tank is at a 6 GH 0 KH and 300ppm GH lol dont know what I did

10. Culprit Well Known Member Member

Yeah CRS, BKK, and CBS won't survive in that. They're really picky about water params. If you already have an RO/DI unit then its as simple as getting some remineralization salts and putting them in at the right amount. Then you'll already have GH, KH, TDS, and PH perfect. All you'll need to do is water changes.

11. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

I think your best bet would be to get a buffering substrate such as Fluval Shrimp Stratum, Controsoil, ADA Aquasoil, SL-Aqua Nature Soil, etc. These will typically drop the ph by around 1 (so from 7.4 to approx 6.4 for you). It will also decrease the KH. But you need to use remineralized distilled or RO water. Buffered substrates do wear out and need to be replaced periodically (varies from brand to brand, usually 1-2 years).

12. YoBoiBlaze Well Known Member Member

I have some Salty shrimp bee gh+, will that give me the TDS KH GH and pH that I need?

13. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I have a KH of 15 which is great for most of my fish, but is the reason I can't keep crystal shrimp. :( They are touchy.
    I could possible keep neocaridina davidi

14. Culprit Well Known Member Member

That should work if you dose the right amounts. I know a lot of good CRS keepers use salty shrimp