Crs And Zebra Snail Help. My First Batch All Died :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by skinandbonesx, Apr 15, 2017.

1. skinandbonesx

skinandbonesx Valued Member Member

About two weeks ago I bought two Zebra Snails and 6 Crystal Shrimp (4 red, 2 blue)

As of today all have passed away except for one blue that's holding on.

Before I get into what I believe I've figured out for myself, lets start with some numbers

(None of my tests have a 0 reading, so the <0.0 numbers are basically the minimum reading my test will show*. Please don't tell me to get the API test, I live in sweden and would have to get in imported in, which would cost more than getting a different european brand that does the exact same thing.)

Ammonia: <0.05ppm *
    Nirites: <0.01ppm *
    Nirates: ~2
    pH: 7.5-8
    Tempeture: 26C

Right now I only have strips to the following numbers, so they aren't super accurate but at least give an idea. (I'll get a proper test, you don't need to lecture me, I realize that was my first mistake but I took for granted how sensitive invertebre were.)

KH in tank today showed ~ 10 but this was after the snail shells had been dissolving for a few days I think (I wasn't sure if they were gone yet). My tap water that I used for water changes shows ~3 usually
    GH ~4

I do believe what ultimately took my CRS was soft water. They all seemed to die the same way, while trying to molt but being unable to get out of the molt. 4 of the 5 that have died I found half way out of their molt.

I've heard baking soda is a fairly easy fix for bumping up the KH and GH a little? I've also heard it raises pH though and just wanted to clarify whether that meant raised the number reading (so, makes the water more basic) or raised the acidity (makes the number reading go down) because obviously I have room for a little bit of play with the pH in terms of acidity, but I wouldn't want to risk making it more basic.

The Zebra snails are a little bit more of a mystery to me, since they seemed to be doing fine for a while. They moved quite a lot, but after about a week, I found them on their backs after falling from where they had been chilling, and after falling they never seem to get their previous energy back and just eventually stopped coming out of their shell all together. Confirmed their death today when one was growing algea and the other was hanging limp with trap door open.

I know that snails to better with soft water also, but I'm worried that there is another factor that might have take them.

Some thoughts?

2. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

Check for any possible copper exposure in your water. (Like old copper pipes in your house or flat)

A most inverts are very sensitive to copper and will die if exposed. I have not been able to keep them myself for this very reason :(

I know theres chemicals outher to counteract this, but it is an uphill battle.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    skinandbonesx

Thanks. I know that it is sorta a rumor that some of the older apartment buildings here do have old copper piping, which is why our rule of thumb is to use the cold water for drinking and cooking rather than the hot water just to reduce as much possible copper contamination as we can if it is a thing but, I feel like that's not super likely or else we'd know about it already. Swedish water is some of the best in the world so generally issues like that, when they arise, are address quickly.

4. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Do you have access to Seachem Prime? It can detoxify heavy metals in tap water.
    Our house has copper pipes and we've had no problems with our nerite and assassin snails (different tanks) or amano shrimp.

5. OP
    OP
    skinandbonesx

I'm sure there's an equivalent here I can get but I really think it's a none issue... If there was even a minute trace of copper in our water, we'd have heard about it since it's the law here.

I was kinda hoping for some help regarding my soft water since to me that seems to be the root of the issue with my CRS at the very least...

6. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

We have really soft water (3 drops with the API GH/KH test kit), so I use Seachem Replenish to bring the GH up for our guppies, snails, and shrimp.

7. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Crs or rcs? Crystals prefer soft acidic water. Lower temps.

8. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

9. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Try crushed coral in your filter, it will raise your ph and GH... also it will balance your water and should help with swings in your parameters.

I am not sure but isn't Sweden volcanic? If so what makes water so good tasting could be killing your inverts. Even if it's not you could have ground elements in the water that is perfectly safe for human consumption but bad for inverts.

Also, IRT copper, again trace amounts of copper is normal in drinking water, and fine for humans, but these levels could be bad for inverts...

Lastly, I am sorry that you had to make a point out of the "don't lecture me... "it seems some people on here do come across that way. However, I do think most truly want to help and really do want success for you.

Try the crushed coral, and see if it does not raise your parameters. Oh BTW stay way from baking soda it only lasts for a short time and will cause your PH to crash, killing your cycle and most everything in your tank... IMO....

10. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

A few things...

Do you have CRS - Crystal Red Shrimp or RCS - Red Cherry Shrimp (which come in a variety of colors)? I'm thinking you have Cherry shrimp, with some red and blue. Your water would not be good for CRS as they need soft/acidic water around 6.5ish or lower for PH.

Here is a link to an article on getting started with Freshwater Shrimp that I put together, hope it helps....

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice