Crowntail vs Halfmoon

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am just curious, are halfmoons somehow better than crowntails? I have noticed that everyone seems to really love the halfmoons and when looking for breeding fish, even on Aquabids there are SO many more halfmoons for sale than crowntails.

Do the halfmoons breed or show better? At the moment, I am only breeding crowntails, but I love the halfmoons too. Other than the obvious difference in the fin types, are there things about the 2 different kinds that make the halfmoons better? Or are they just more popular? Goodness knows I am still new to some of this so I wanted to get some general opinions and maybe some reasons for this.

2. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I know my reason is going to sound stupid, but I prefer halfmoons to crowntails because with the crowntails I can never tell if the tail has fin rot or is missing pieces. I am constantly thinking I need to medicate for something and never know if I really do or not.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I have 3 crowntails and love them to bits, I am getting another tank so if another betta choses me I will divide it if another fish chooses me then so be it :)!

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Personally i LOVE halfmoons. The reason they are so wanted is because of their beautiful finnage :) i have CT though and love him to bits, but he is on his last leg :(

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would love a divided tank with halfmoons! ill put it next to my ct tank and take a picture for this thread haha

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Oh I wish I could help you, but, I have no experience with bettas YET !!!!

Both types are beautiful...I think halfmoons take the beauty a few steps farther, and crowntails are soooo interesting in their looks, also.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

crownies, IMO , are much harder to keep their tails prestine...they catch on things much easier and a sponge filter is a must with them....all are beautiful and its in the eyes of the beholder to me ;D

8. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I love both! But I have read on a website (which I thought was quite mean) that some breeders disregard CTs saying that they look more like an insect than a fish! Maybe this is the reason, but they both are beyond gorgeous in their own uniques ways if you ask me! :)

9. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

thanks everyone! Shawnie, that makes a lot of sense to me... I have noticed the crowntails lose fins easier than vt's, I thought that might have something to do with it. I wasn't sure about those gorgeous halfmoons though, the only one I have is my halfmoon double-tail, and he has decided he likes to munch his own fins whenever he gets the chance! But I am a true addict, I can't wait to get my first halfmoons!

P.S. On the addict topic, I DID rescue another crowntail from wally worlds death cups today. Of the ones they had, 2 were dead, one had a major spine deformity, 2 had SBD and several more had fin rot. I picked him up...trying not to cry about all of the sick babies..and told him to give me a sign that he wanted me to take him home so I wouldn't feel so bad buying another one. He promptly flared up and did the "I'm too handsome for this cup" dance:p So now I have my new boy Paris, he is black, green and red...not to mention very happy to be out of that cup! Double thanks to Shawnie for the dividing ideas!

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Critter! Congrats on the new addition. I hope you can share some photos with us!
    Ken

11. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

thanks Ken! I have several new additions that haven't had their photo introduction yet...guess I better get on the job!!

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations, Critterfritter-there's no time like the present for introductions:D

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Congrats on your new baby! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who stands in front of fighters asking them if they want to come home! Pics, pics please! :)

14. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am finishing up the new seperated tank and then will try to get some of those pics...I had to change the new guy's name though...I started out with Paris but it just didn't fit. His personality is so strong I decided to change his name to Tsunami!

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

cant wait! pics please! :photo:

16. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Love the name! I can just picture a strong tough fighter answering to that! :D

17. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Nice name. :happy0034: Can't wait for pics either ;D Keep us posted.

18. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the new baby :D

On the CT vs HM question, HM's are currently the favored tail-type in show breeders. Once upon a time VT's were exotic, then there were Round Tails, spade tails, then crown tails were unveiled and were popular for a time. Half Moon's and Over Half Moon's are the latest and due to their extreme finnage which you have to admire, very popular. CT's began from a very small gene pool and can at times be more delicate then some of the other tail-types. Other then Night Hawk (whose a VTx), the last 4 CT's I've had for some reason haven't lasted more then a month. :(

19. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

It is news to me about CTs being especially delicate. I have had heaps and they've never given me an ounce of trouble. Other than being so gorgeous I can never stop photographing them! :)

20. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I hear ya fishtroy! It seems like everyday they find some new pose or expression that has me rushing for the camera!