Crowntail Betta Needs Your Help!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by WaterSpirit, Nov 30, 2012.

1. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

If you are in the Norcross, Georgia area or know someone who is, please help this guy if you can! 6050 Peachtree Pkwy
    Norcross, Georgia 30092
    (770) 300-0926 8233546878_7095b384bd_c.jpg He appears to be suffering from Columnaris. He is still alive right now, but not sure how much longer he will last. He is very beautiful and seems to be strong considering his condition. I was gonna buy him to save him, but have no extra cash to set him up his own tank!

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry to see that! Can you talk to a manager and see if they can give him some meds to try and treat him?
    or if not, a proper way to euthanize him? He looks pretty severe.... :(

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Re: Crowntail Betta Needs Your Help!!!

Ya, tell them he's sick and see if they'll give him to you. Gessh.

4. OP
    OP
    WaterSpirit

How would I treat this. Does Mardel Maracyn Plus work for stuff like this? I'm definitely considering it

5. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

I would point him out to a manager or pet care associate. Sick animals need to be treated properly - I would also advise them that you think it is columnaris (they should know or be able to look it up) and that it is highly contagious.

6. OP
    OP
    WaterSpirit

Maracyn Plus says it will treat ulcers and mouth fungus, but read an article that said for advanced stages of this disease I would need to get something else that has oxytetracycline. Read I can use Aqua Pro-Cure and Revive

7. OP
    OP
    WaterSpirit

I'm going early in the morning to get him. Hopefully he is still alive. If he's dead or not there, I will get another guy with a gill that won't close. I'm going to speak with the manager too, regardless if he's free or not. The kid working in the fish department is not doing his job and the manager needs to know this. I will be working at PetSmart too (just got hired), and this is sad to see. I'll be working at a different location though. The one I'm working at is way better than this location.

So, tonight I am going to fix up a 10 gallon with conditioned water and get the water heated up. I'll get some gravel and a couple plants for him tomorrow when I get him. I'm praying he is not dead when I get there, and that if he isn't there, that he was bought by someone else. If he dies in my care, at least he will die in a larger tank maybe knowing that someone actually cared for him in this sad, cruel world of humankind. Wish me luck...

8. OP
    OP
    WaterSpirit

Well, that betta ended up dying at the store. So, I bought a different betta with same condition. Brought him home, acclimated him, put him in his tank, gave him meds and he died over the night. So sad. He was such a trooper though. He didn't seem bothered by his illness at all. I named him Star.

9. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, the more people buy poor quality stock from big chains, the more that these stores will continue to abuse/neglect animals. The best thing for all in the longrun is to boycott them completely. Bettas are so abused in the aquarium trade they should be banned from being sold.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would have euthed him personally, SBD, Ammonia burns, columnaris are all potentially fatal, and at that rate, it would be a favor. Never buy the super sick betta. NEVER. In that condition, the fish is done for. You are better off buying a healthier fish with a better chance at survival. That way instead of wasting time on the terminal fish, you can prevent one from becoming terminal in the first place.

11. OP
    OP
    WaterSpirit

I did buy a betta that wasn't as sick, and he still died. I can't euthanize a fish. That would be impossible for me to do. I was sure he was gonna make it.

12. coacoa8506

coacoa8506 Valued Member Member

I tried this same thing and had the same luck. But I went back and bought another (like a dummy) and he's doing great now! I never thought about the fact that the more of them we buy, the more they'll breed and sell.... I really need to find a fish store and quit going to these big chain stores.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice