Crossochelius Reticulatus vs. Crossocheilus Langei/Oblong (SAE) for BBA

fishnovice33

I am looking for a fish that will eat my BBA.

I am familiar with the SAE species listed but upon search I have come across the Crossochelius Reticulatus species.

Does anyone have experience with this species?

According to my preliminary research - this species is the most superior BBA eating fish. Unlike the other SAE that will stop wasting as much algae as it grows, C. Ret does not lose interest in algae it’s whole life. It is peaceful. Needs a group. Can grow to 6 inches.

In fact I’ve read it cannot process protein based prepared foods.

So I’m looking for just general experiences on this species and if there is is any issue with it kept in a tank that is fed protein to the other fish.

I think this species in more common outside the U.S.

wishuponafish

I too have heard from other fishkeepers that reticulated algae eaters are superior at their job, and they don't seem to have any problems keeping just one in a community tank.
If you run out of algae, you can always feed vegetables or algae wafers/flakes (I would provide it to them occasionally even if algae is present) and I wouldn't worry too much about the protein as long as you're not overfeeding or seeing bloating or anything.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I’ve been researching SAE as well. From what I read C Lengei is the best algea eater and doesn’t loose interest in algea it’s whole life. I’ve read they’re very peaceful and usually stay smaller than 6”. However, it’s really hard to find info so I’m not sure if what I read is reliable.

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

IME Crossocheilus Langei is very similar to Oblongus in terms algae eating.

Supposedly the Oblongus is the ‘true SAE’ and also supposedly cannot be found anywhere as they’re rare.

However, I am finding a lot of Oblongus...at least labeled as such. Even AquaHuna has an 8 pack for $25 labeled as Oblongus.

The Langei is easy to identify when old enough, simply has a black spot on the belly. I have found these to be impossible to find (if anyone finds them please post).

The biggest issue here is identifying the Oblongus from crossocheilus atrilimes.
Atrilimes will quickly lose interest in algae and eat plants as it grows (so I’ve read, never owned one that I know of). I don’t want to end up with those. If anyone knows how to differentiate these two please advise.

It’s been many many years since I kept Oblongus/Langei and I have no idea how to tell if it’s the real algae eater - mainly Oblongus from Atrimiles. When I ran a fish store long long ago we used to order Oblongus but got Langei mixed in. Could be we also got atrilimes as well but I never noticed since they all killed algae.

Luckily Reticulatus seems readily available and seems to have good algae eating feedback, and is easier to identify than any of the other 3 so I guess I’m going to give them a shot than dealing with this mess lol.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

My younger brother keeps C. reticulatus and says they eat BBA. But, I've not kept them myself.

I have kept SAEs almost continually for the past 20 years. I have 9 of them right now. I suspect there are several Crossocheilus species sold as SAEs though, and they all look nearly identical. After all, people relate such different experiences with them. For me, the ones I have had ate algae all through adulthood, never lost interest. They all got to be about 4-5 inches or so. And, I've not had an aggressive one yet.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

IME Crossocheilus Langei is very similar to Oblongus in terms algae eating.

Supposedly the Oblongus is the ‘true SAE’ and also supposedly cannot be found anywhere as they’re rare.

However, I am finding a lot of Oblongus...at least labeled as such. Even AquaHuna has an 8 pack for $25 labeled as Oblongus.

The Langei is easy to identify when old enough, simply has a black spot on the belly. I have found these to be impossible to find (if anyone finds them please post).

The biggest issue here is identifying the Oblongus from crossocheilus atrilimes.
Atrilimes will quickly lose interest in algae and eat plants as it grows (so I’ve read, never owned one that I know of). I don’t want to end up with those. If anyone knows how to differentiate these two please advise.

It’s been many many years since I kept Oblongus/Langei and I have no idea how to tell if it’s the real algae eater - mainly Oblongus from Atrimiles. When I ran a fish store long long ago we used to order Oblongus but got Langei mixed in. Could be we also got atrilimes as well but I never noticed since they all killed algae.

Luckily Reticulatus seems readily available and seems to have good algae eating feedback, and is easier to identify than any of the other 3 so I guess I’m going to give them a shot than dealing with this mess lol.
Can I ask, when you kept the C langei, were they decent at eating BBA? I‘m pretty sure thats what my lfs sells (they don’t ship unfortunately). Do you know how big they have to be to identify? Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, I’ve been having troubles finding someone with experience with them.

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

Can I ask, when you kept the C langei, were they decent at eating BBA? I‘m pretty sure thats what my lfs sells (they don’t ship unfortunately). Do you know how big they have to be to identify? Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, I’ve been having troubles finding someone with experience with them.

Langei are excellent BBA eaters. In fact they’re the best I have seen. Of course I have not tried Reticulatus yet but just placed an order for a couple to test out.

Consider yourself very lucky, if I could find Langei either online or in store I’d be buying them ASAP. Mainly because they grow smaller than Reticulatus I believe. I have heard rumors select Petsmart carry them but mislabel them as ‘Siamese Flying Fox’.

I went today to see if any of mine had them - no luck. As far as the black spot, I am not entirely sure as I am not a breeder and when I dealt with them they’d be in big batches with other Crossochelius species and I did not observe specific specimens over a period.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say they were around 3 months when I got them and some got the spot shortly after. Some did not. Some already had them. At the time I did not know it was a different species.

So I’d say 3-4 months before a dark belly would display (around an inch in length).

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Langei are excellent BBA eaters. In fact they’re the best I have seen. Of course I have not tried Reticulatus yet but just placed an order for a couple to test out.

Consider yourself very lucky, if I could find Langei either online or in store I’d be being them ASAP. I have heard rumors select Petsmart carry them but mislabel them as ‘Siamese Flying Fox’.

I went today to see if any of mine had them - no luck. As far as the black spot, I am not entirely sure as I am not a breeder and when I dealt with them they’d be in big batches with other Crossochelius species and I did not observe specific specimens over a period.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say they were around 3 months when I got them and some got the spot shortly after. Some did not.

So I’d say 3-4 months before a dark belly would display (around an inch in length).
Good to know thank you for the help! Hopefully, they’ll get more in soon they’re pretty cool fish, everyone must think so as they always sell fast.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies