Crossing My Fingers For Shrimp Babies

Grimfeather

Hey Everyone,

Ive had my tank and shrimp going for a couple months now, but every time I think I see a berried shrimp, no babies ever pop up. I need another set of eyes to tell me if I should get my hopes up this time.

Attachments

• Shrimp Babies.jpg
    Shrimp Babies.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 110

richiep

Yes get your Hope's up and not long to go pretty well developed

Jack B Nimble

Are you going to use a food for babies like bacter ae ? Reason I ask is way better success rate as babies only move about an inch and can starve. I use my camera phone on micro lens to search around my tank for the babies. I just had some now I can't find them lol

Grimfeather

Are you going to use a food for babies like bacter ae ? Reason I ask is way better success rate as babies only move about an inch and can starve. I use my camera phone on micro lens to search around my tank for the babies. I just had some now I can't find them lol
I thought about that originally when I was thinking of having guppies in there, but I decided to go with Endlers Livebearers. Their mouths are a bit small, not sure if they can eat them.

richiep

Guppies will eat young shrimp

tjander

Elders will as well. IMO shrimp should be kept in a species only tank. If you must add fish only do it after the colony is well established as thriving.

Ree C

Elders will as well. IMO shrimp should be kept in a species only tank. If you must add fish only do it after the colony is well established as thriving.
I started off with RCS in with five guppies in a 36 gallon heavily planted tank. Lots of Java moss. The shrimp did really well, I added some neon tetras to help control the population. Still insane amounts of RCS. I upgraded to a 55 connected to a 30 long with a water bridge. Added some honey gourami, Rasboras, and Rmber tetras. I still make a monthly trip to my LFS with RCS for them. Just my personal experience. The only fish I see try for baby shrimp is my lone female Betta

Grimfeather

I started off with RCS in with five guppies in a 36 gallon heavily planted tank. Lots of Java moss. The shrimp did really well, I added some neon tetras to help control the population. Still insane amounts of RCS. I upgraded to a 55 connected to a 30 long with a water bridge. Added some honey gourami, Rasboras, and Rmber tetras. I still make a monthly trip to my LFS with RCS for them. Just my personal experience. The only fish I see try for baby shrimp is my lone female Betta

I guess my tanks plants need to grow out a bit more. I came in yesterday to check on them, couldnt find the pregnant shrimp and I didnt see any babies anywhere. I think my Endlers got them. The Endlers have been hanging out in the corner where I saw the pregnant shrimp, maybe looking for more snacks.

tjander

Shrimp will hide if threatened maybe they are hiding because of the fish?

Grimfeather

I had given up hope and was going to start trimming the moss. From a distance it looked like there were some discolored spots on the moss, but when I looked closer, I saw them! They didnt get eaten! Looking closely, Ive seen 5-6+ hiding deep in the folds of the moss.

Attachments

• Shrimplet 2.jpeg
    Shrimplet 2.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Shrimplet 1.jpeg
    Shrimplet 1.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 67

richiep

Congratulations patients and time that's all was neede . Now be very careful doing water changes an cutting back on plants and make sure to look in your bucket whe doing water changes for babies

Grimfeather

Congratulations patients and time that's all was neede . Now be very careful doing water changes an cutting back on plants and make sure to look in your bucket whe doing water changes for babies

Thanks! I just hope they stay hidden long enough to outgrow the size of the Endlers mouths.

richiep

You will always loose 1or2 to fish but they look a pretty good size

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Ton1
Replies
Views
Shrumple