Cross Contamination?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Adame714, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Adame714New MemberMember

Hi, there I have a bit of a worrisome situation. One of our gold fish a.k.a. Thing 1 passed away recently in our 10-gallon tank. After Thing 1 passed away I changed out the carbon less filter and did a 50% water change the following day. Thing 2 has been all by his lonesome since Thing 1 passed away and now it looks like Thing 2 is getting sick as well what should I do?
    Also the tank looks a bit hazy.

Water test: Nitrates2 and 3 are at 0 Amonia was at .5 Ph was at 7.8(I think this is to high I could be wrong still a bit new to the whole fish tank)

Attached Files:

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231Well Known MemberMember

Ammonia is too high and you need a bigger tank or pond for them.

You can lower the ammonia with a 50% wc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

The Ph isn't a problem as long as it is stable. Since both your nitrates and nitrites are 0 I am assuming this tank isn't cycled.

A 10 gallon is a bit too small for gold fish but they can be kept in there for a very short period of time. They will quickly outgrow that small space. The would guess the reason you lost Thing # 1 is from the build up of ammonia and it is also the reason thing #2 isn't feeling well.

with a tank that small and as messy (poop machines) as goldfish are you really should be changing out at least half of its water daily.

Pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner. It will help keep your fish safe by rendering some of the ammonia less harmful as your tank goes through the cycling process. As long as the ammonia is less than 1 ppm add a ful dose of prime to the tank daily. If it is over 1 ppm do a water change to lower it and then add a full dose.

The tank may be going through a bacterial bloom and that would cause the slight hazyness you are seeing. It is perfectly natural to see this as the tank cycles. It will gradually go away as the bacteria continues to grow.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Adame714New MemberMember

Awesome thank you!! I'll do a water change as soon as I'm home.. hmm a bigger tank seems to be in order I'll probably pick it up sometime this coming weekend.

5. mattgirl

You are very welcome. I am really happy to hear that you are willing to give this little guy every chance to thrive by getting him/her and appropriate home. A 20 gallon would work for 1 goldie but a 29 would be even better. :)

6. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry to disagree, but that goldfish does not look like a fancy goldfish. Please correct me if I am wrong, but common/shubunkin/comets should really only be kept in ponds, a ten gallon can be detrimental to their health over time. I'm very sorry about your loss

7. mattgirl

I actually do agree with you and it would be wonderful if every goldfish could live in a perfect environment. Sadly most of the goldfish given away at carnivals and other such venues will not live out their lives in perfect conditions. Most of them will suffer for most of their short lives in horrid conditions. It breaks my heart but it is what it is. :(

It seems to me like this one has folks that do care about its well being and are thankfully willing to upgrade the tank as needed.

Would it be best to get a huge tank right now, yes it would and maybe I should have suggested at least 200 gallons. I try to be realistic. Most folks have neither the resources nor the room for a huge tank. Maybe I should have asked before recommending the size I recommended instead of assuming. That was wrong on my part. Thank you for reminding me. :)

8. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

No, you're totally right please don't feel the need to apologize. Just by putting them in a 10, OP is already doing better than 99.999% of carnival goldfish winners. You're right, and most people shouldn't feel pressured to spend hundreds of dollars on carnival fish. I do know some people build indoor ponds from pond liner and a plywood base, and it can be built for about $100, but then the issue of space and accessibility come into question. It was inappropriate for me to suggest such a large upgrade; I should have mentioned the potential max size instead, just in case Thing 2 suddenly gets a foot long in a 30 or 40.
    A few 50% water changes will remove ammonia and help Thing 2's immune system, so even if it is sickness, Thing 2 will be better at fighting it off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice