Cross breeding Killies?

Fish4848

I was wondering if it would be possible to cross breed two similar killifish, namely Fundulopanchax Gardneri and Fundulopanchax Amieti. Has anyone ever done or heard of this being done?

Fishproblem

Fish4848 said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to cross breed two similar killifish, namely Fundulopanchax Gardneri and Fundulopanchax Amieti. Has anyone ever done or heard of this being done?
You aren't suposed to mix species from the same genus (in this case fundulopanchax).

Broadly speaking, hybridizing killies is frowned on. If you want to breed them, invest the time in preserving a pure line of them. We've wiped so many off the face of the earth that hybridizing them instead of working toward preservation is commonly considered irresponsible and sort of a jerk move. (Not calling you a jerk, of course! You haven't hybridized killifish yet!)

mimo91088

Fishproblem said:
You aren't suposed to mix species from the same genus (in this case fundulopanchax).

Broadly speaking, hybridizing killies is frowned on. If you want to breed them, invest the time in preserving a pure line of them. We've wiped so many off the face of the earth that hybridizing them instead of working toward preservation is commonly considered irresponsible and sort of a jerk move. (Not calling you a jerk, of course! You haven't hybridized killifish yet!)
This is the purist outlook. I genuinely admire dudes who do this. But I also am the kind of guy that would totally do it to see if the results make something cool. Lol

Fish4848

Fishproblem said:

I wasnt Really planning on doing it, I was mostly just curious, however if I did I would never give them away or breed the offspring, assuming that they’re even fertil, since I know how even a single hybrid fish can mess up a whole line.

chromedome52

Just because the two species are in the same Genus doesn't mean they can be successfully hybridized. I've not heard of anyone producing a cross between these two species. Their natural distribution does not cross. The amieti is usually a bottom spawner with a 5-6 week dry incubation, while gardneri are generally wet hatched in 2-3 weeks.

While curiosity is a wonderful thing, there are times when it is wasted. This would be one of those times.

Top Bottom