Cross breeding albino bristlenose and high fin pleco

Stylist1008

I have a black high fin pleco that breaded with an albino bristle nose (has bristles, so I’m thinking it’s a male), there’s about 30 or so frye and are both albino and black. Is this common to have them breed?

Demeter

Pictures of the black pleco please. It is likely just a normal brown BN that carries the albino gene, hence the albino and brown fry.

Different color morphs of the BN plecos can and readily do breed.

Stylist1008

Here are pics of both

Attachments

• 351016D8-5622-4F68-B2A6-53BF1F03B64A.jpeg
    351016D8-5622-4F68-B2A6-53BF1F03B64A.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 7
  • A33EB8D8-2EF6-4035-A7EC-7D38AC0BEB86.jpeg
    A33EB8D8-2EF6-4035-A7EC-7D38AC0BEB86.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 7

Demeter

Yup the female is a long finned brown BN, so same species and not hybridizing. Expect some of the fry to have long fins, its a dominant trait in BN. Albino to brown should be about 50/50 and long finned around 25%. They will keep spawning so it would be a good idea to separate the two unless you want more.

Stylist1008

Thank you! So if we have so many babies could we sell them? Is there a demand for these? The brown bn we were told is a high sail fin is this not the case?

ExiiledAlpha

Thank you! So if we have so many babies could we sell them? Is there a demand for these? The brown bn we were told is a high sail fin is this not the case?
dont believe so i think the high fin get much bigger. could be wrong though not an expert

DoubleDutch

These are both Ancistrus cf cirrhosus = BN's

A sailfin pleco is a different species getting much bigger.

Demeter

Plecos are sold as the wrong species all the time. I myself have never heard of a high fin pleco. Perhaps they were making up names as many stores/vendors do. Some people call the normal brown BN plecos “chocolate”. I think it helps to sell them?

As for demand of BN plecos, they are my main fish I sell online and ship all over the US. Browns are not in high demand but I have no problem selling all my BN. I have sold browns, albinos, super reds and calicos (mix of long and short fins). Long finned and albinos sell pretty well, when they are small at around 1-1.5in I sell then as groups of 5 and they fetch 20-35$ depending on the color form and how high the bidders decide they want to go. Young adult BN sell at a much higher price if you can sex them. Females in particular seem to sell really well for me, everyone wants a female for their male! For me it takes about a year to raise them to sexual maturity.

Ask your pet store if they would be willing to take the BN off your hands. A word of caution, do not sell tiny fry. More often than not they are very fragile and end up starving or getting eaten. Only sell them when they are at least 1in long but 1.5-2in is safest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views