Croaking Gourami In My Community Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by OurFirstTimeFishy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Picture is the tank landscape, 30 gallon tank, 3 female guppies, 1 angelfish, 1 electric blue ram, 1 sailfin pleco, temp around 79 or 80 ...

My lfs has sparking gourmis on sale and they look amazing, I was wondering if I can add a pair into my community tank? I'm nervous for the angelfish trying to poke at them but he tends to leave my ram alone plus the guppies. I have a baby guppy in the tank also and the angelfish leaves that alone. From what I was reading it might work out... should I add more hiding places or plants if I can get the gouramis?

Thanks for the help

This is the picture of the landscape

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  2. SuperD14

SuperD14Valued MemberMember

Croaking gouramis like really well planted aquariums with slow moving water

3. OP
    OP
    OurFirstTimeFishy

That's what I was reading, I was going to buy some plants if they were able to go into the tank. The only part that is fast moving is near the right corner where the air stone is

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

So wait, are you planning on adding sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila) or actual croaking gourami (Trichopsis vittata)? Also, I hope that the pleco is in your 30 temporarily.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

That pleco looks huge!

6. SuperD14

SuperD14Valued MemberMember

Wow ahah I didn’t even see him

7. OP
    OP
    OurFirstTimeFishy

The lfs has advertised croaking gourami 2 for $4, after fast research google said they were basically the same fish as a sparkling gourami... yes the pleco is temp in that tank, hes got a 75 waiting for him, just waiting for my holidays so I can be home to watch over when I transfer him, hes got a oscar waiting to be his buddy (I'm hoping)

Lol little hard to miss

8. StupidMonkey

StupidMonkeyNew MemberMember

I'm not sure if you are saying they are Sparkling Gouramis but mislabeled in the shop or if you're saying they're both the same thing but they are two different fish. Both in the same family of gouramis and both have the ability to croak but one is about an inch smaller than the other.

To be honest, assuming you meant the former, I'd generally keep Sparkling Gouramis with other small fish but if you think your angel and ram are generally quite placid then I could see it working out. They are micropredators though so might go after guppy fry. If you waited until your pleco was moved and you had quite a lot of plants established I could see you being able to go for 4. They're really great to watch when they're relaxed.

9. OP
    OP
    OurFirstTimeFishy

I dont really know what I'm saying to be honest lol my fish store said croaking gourami so possibly that's a mislabel from the site.. I googled croaking gourami and one site said sparking gourami is another name for it, but you mentioned the sparkling has the ability to croak so possibly that's why it popped up...

My ram seems placid, sometimes he will go after the angelfish but I believe that's over territory, the angelfish will sometimes dart after the other fish but I've never seen him going and attacking the other fish, more just saying I'm bigger so be afraid.

I will prob wait and have a tank just for them, they seem like really amazing fish so I deff want to get some and some point... thanks alot for your help!

10. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Croaking and sparkling gouramis are two different species.

11. StupidMonkey

StupidMonkeyNew MemberMember

No worries, I recently got a few sparkling gourami for a nano tank and they have fast become a firm favourite for me. Loads of personality, very inquisitive and hearing them chirp while watching them is very awesome too. Cant recommend them enough!

12. OP
    OP
    OurFirstTimeFishy

I'm tempted to purchase a tank for these bad boys lol thanks again for the help, I'll deff keep an eye on these guys