Crittertrail for single mouse?

bettaf1sh 7789

Hello, I am looking at getting a mouse, I want a male mouse as I only want to keep one so I was wondering if a critter trail would provide enough space? Specifically I’m looking at ones that have a base that’s 20x11.5 (230 sq inches). I’m guessing this is okay because 10 gallons seems to be minimum recommended and is 200 sq inches. I know most like tanks for ease of cleaning, personally I’m looking at crittertrails because they’re very lightweight and I want a cage that I can easily move around and that’s easy to bring in the car as I do travel somewhat often, mainly just short car trips not more than a couple hours. Are these okay? I would start out with just one and likely at least add some extensions and possibly a second cage later on.

APColorado

For the size they are okay, but for practical cleaning purposes they are a pain to clean. I personally wouldn't keep a mouse in an aquarium. I know it is a common practice, but I look at it from the ventilation angle. I prefer to have four sides of the habitat being able to circulate air through.

bettaf1sh 7789

APColorado said:
For the size they are okay, but for practical cleaning purposes they are a pain to clean. I personally wouldn't keep a mouse in an aquarium. I know it is a common practice, but I look at it from the ventilation angle. I prefer to have four sides of the habitat being able to circulate air through.
Okay good to know, I’ve had some before for hamsters (not as primary cages but as extensions as a den or something) and they can be somewhat of a pain but the lightweight cage I can easily travel with offsets the annoyance to clean for me. I’m seeing if there are any better wire cages at a similar price point that have correct bar spacing for mice that I can easily get, but if not, I’ll likely go with the critter trail. Thanks!

Hugooo

Hi, unfortunately no, that cage will not be big enough. I know hamsters need a minimum of 450 square inches, or about the size of a 40 gallon tank, not sure about mice. I would think they need at least that much if not more though because they are very, very active. It is also not good to travel around with rodents, as they can get really stressed because of the frequent shakes and bumps, as well as not really being able to properly eat or drink. And stress leads to disease, and disease commonly leads to death.
APColorado said:
Yes, but most wired cages are not big enough for a mouse to humanely live in. Sure an aquarium might have a little less ventilation but that is not as important as size. And think about those tubes, those have almost no ventilation whatsoever, and the animal can get stuck in them.

I highly recommend watching people like Victoria Raechel, ErinsAnimals, HoppingHammy, Emiology, etc. on YouTube as they know a lot about rodents.

Ask more questions if you have them! Good luck

Latest threads

Top Bottom