Critter in my live rock?

srains
I have a few critters boring holes in my live rock? They are blue with antanne looking eyes that they can move in opposite directions and are about the size of a pink.y finger. they have the body shape of a huge rollie pollie. Can anyone help me identify these.

sgould
Can you post a picture?

Coryd55
Any pictures?

srains
This is living in my rock can anyone tell me what it is? It is about the size of a pinkie finger and it is blue, its eyes are like antane's and can move in opposite directions. Thanks for all the help.

Kevin
I have no idea...but it looks pretty cool!

agsansoo
I'm going to agree with Magpie Tear ! Mantis Shrimps are bad new. They will eat your crabs, other shrimp and your sleeping fish ! They need a separate tank of their own. Check out this video.

sgould
Love the soundtrack.

srains
I'm going to agree with Magpie Tear ! Mantis Shrimps are bad new. They will eat your crabs, other shrimp and your sleeping fish ! They need a separate tank of their own.

Thanks for the video. That's what it looks like only blue instead of red. Any idea how to get rid of it without destroying my rock.

Peterpiper
This is living in my rock can anyone tell me what it is? It is about the size of a pinkie finger and it is blue, its eyes are like antane's and can move in opposite directions. Thanks for all the help.

Here is a link ATMmachine sent me. It helped me ID so many things on our LR

Some people keep this shrimp so you maybe able to sell it.
To remove the shrimp you may need to remove the rock that its in. You could make a new water mix in a tub, Place the rock in the tub. now place a raw prawn in the tub. The shrimp should go for the raw prawn. remove the rock once the shrimp is out

Looks like you got Mantis Srimp... not good, they well kill and eat every thing in your tank. Check this link to see if it is a Mantis

drumbum540
That is a great website Peterpiper! but I have read that bristle worms can be bad for coral. I wouldn't know because I don't have any coral. yet! But I think it might be mantis shrimp. you will want to get rid of them as they WILL eat everything it can grab. I have two questions did you not see them until they were the size of a pinky finger and did you get your rock dry or wet?

Rbacchiega
lots of people keep mantis shrimp in a separate tank or even in their fuge. I think they are some of the ugliest things out there, thank god there's none in my tanks that I can see.

Iluvatar
You should take them out somehow but how did you get them.
One time I had jellyfish looking stuff in my tank growing out of
the live rock but then I cleaned It and got them again but I don't
get them anymore

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticBrandon
Replies
Views
nate21887
Replies
Views