Critique my Tank!

Nybbles

Reaction score
HI all. Just took my first pics of my new tank. I've had it running for about 4 weeks, cycled with Bio-Spira. It's a 20 gallon with an AquaClear50 (200gph).

My biggest question is if I have enough plants and hiding places. I have 3 tall plants, 1 medium, and 2 smalls. I've tried to keep them in the back and on the sides to allow room in the center to swim. There is a cave on the right side, but none of my fish seem to be interested in it.

The past week I've started to notice small patches of brown algae on my glass, plants, and submarine. Picked up 3 Oto's tonight to address the situation. I expected them to take a while to get used to their surroundings, but after acclimating them, they immediately went to work!

Currently, I have:

3 male guppies
2 dwarf platys
6 neon tetra
3 oto cats

They are all fairly young and still kinda small. Lost a few guppies and a platy so far, but the water is good now so we'll see how the rest fare.

I am a begginer at this and welcome any suggestions you guys might have! Thanks!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very nice looking tank and the fish look happy and active. Don't get concerned if the fish don't take to the cave right away. They are curious critters and will take a few weeks to get used to everything and then one day you will find out that someone has taken up residence in the cave. The otos will more than likely set up housekeeping in there during the day as they really are nocturnal little fish. They usually aren't out much during the day. When I come in the room in the morning and turn the room lights on I see mine scurrying around trying to get out of the light. They have "cleaned house" all night. Now when the algae is gone you will have to give them a bit of algae wafer. For 3 of them, I would give half of an Algae wafer a every other day unless you have algae in the tank. When you have brown algae in the tank then do not feed the wafers or they will not eat the algae....they get a bit lazy if you overfeed them but they do need to be fed.

Your plants are fine. Actually there is no formula for what is too many or enough. Just whatever looks good to you and what you like is fine. The fish will adapt as long as they do not have special needs and the fish that are in your tank will be fine with the set up you have. One very nice thing about fish tanks is that we can make them reflect our personalities as they also provide homes for the fish we love so much.

Rose

smillermom

Reaction score
Miss chickadee, you always say the nicest things!  I love this forum as the people truly love the hobby and are enthusiatic with new members!  I also have cycled tanks with Bio-Spira and had great results. Your tank looks so nice, congrats!  The brown algae is most likely diatoms and happens in every new tank.  It will go away eventually but those ottos do a great job cleaning!  Have fun and again, nice tank!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lilke your tank and the plants just put them where you like them like Rose said, your fish don't really need them to hide and will enjoy just swimming in and out of them. Might I suggest something, I think your submarine is the type where you can hook a air pump to it and air bubble come out spinning the propeller in the back, might I suggest you turn it around and put a air pump on if you have one, it looks really cool my friend has one, that's if it's the type. ;D

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I think your tank looks great! You should really keep in mind that aside from the basic needs of your fish, your tank needs to make you happy. I think you have plenty of hiding places in that tank. I love the submarine! If I set up another tank, I think I would have that submarine or battleship in there and make it my hubby's tank. Very cool!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice tank and really nice fishies!! All sounds good. The fact that your fish aren't hiding too much means that there are enough hiding places so they feel secure.
Are the Platys males or females or both?

New Threads