Critique My Tank

1. SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Valued Member Member

Hello,

I just finished moving to my new place and setup my tank again. My last setup I had tetras, but now decided on setting up a small African cichlid tank for the first time. This is a 46 gallon bow front with two medium size Texas holey rocks. I will put a either a blue or black background whenever I can find a place to get one.

I would like some helpful hints and advise since this will be my first cichlid tank.

Should I add more Texas holey rocks?

full?d=1530467802.jpg

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

More rocks. Look into Malawi cichlids. Rick sellers are great for that size plus they are pretty entertaining. Use some plastidip and spray the back of your tank black or go with a diy 3D back ground.

3. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

If you're wanting a solid color background, I suggest painting your rear glass with the color of your choice.
    Of course, this should only be done if you have a glass tank (not acrylic) and only using water based paint.
    It's easily removed when you want a change.
    I'm planning to change mine to a dark navy blue glitter background next week after the 4th Holiday.
    5b7bd8fb-42bf-4682-83bf-a06a9007ea24_1.ccc605509cb8ecd7be6aabedfd766cb0.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLwSIYVGAeyE9aOicVCoKj4DYLJFRu-Bwh81COzx4m8MtPEnJR.jpg

4. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

It definitely needs more decorations.

5. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

I'll buy some more holey rocks within the next few days. For the background I would have to use a sheet, or drain the water and paint the background.

6. NavyChief20

You can paint the outside back of the tank with plastidip.

7. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

Frankly, I think you already have enough rocks, but that's just me.
    I would add plants (live or artificial).
    I much prefer live plants, but I suppose it depends a lot on compatibility with the fish stock you choose.

8. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

I tried the plant thing when I had tetras and while they look good at first then all the sudden they start dying off and I had some snails hitch hike that caused me many problems. I'm looking to stock the tank with Pseudotrpheus saulosi and from what i read they prefer rocks which is better for me.

9. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

Here's an update. I added some more Texas Holey Rocks. I will add the black or blue background when I receive it.

full?d=1530922748.jpg

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You don't have to paint it...you can just buy some poster board at the dollar store and use that. That's what I did with my tanks. If I wanted to change it I just rip it off instead of having to scrap the paint off...

11. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks a lot better with more rock, and the background will help things stand out!

12. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

I ordered a black and blue poster board since I don't have space to paint the back and don't feel like draining the water anymore.

Thanks. I try to place the rocks as carefully as possible so they wont move or fall over. Hopefully when I add some saulosi cichlids they wont be able to cause the rock formations to fall. Now just have to choose either use the black or blue background.

13. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

The black background finally came in.

full?d=1531013723.jpg

14. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Looks great!!!

15. NavyChief20

Really like that black background. Gives it a nice finished look.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

If you're worried about the rocks falling, glue them together so they can't. Superglue or even aquarium sealant would do the job. I would not leave them just sitting on top of each other. That's a problem waiting to happen.

17. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

I’d move the temp probe to one of the side panels or the back panel. Having it in front Just draws your attention to it.

18. T

TheWalkman Valued Member Member

Adding the rocks looks great!

19. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Agreed... and filling up the tank a bit more (as a personal preference).

20. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

Thanks for the input. I'll move the temp probe to the back.

If I want to silicone the rocks together what's the best way to do that? Drain the tank half way and use silicone or add it while it's full of water? How do I find an aquarium safe silicone?